This page is under construction
Glan Clwyd Hospital, Rhuddlan Road, Bodelwyddan, Rhyl, LL18 5UJ General hospital built on a greenfield site, opened in 1980. Undergoing major renovations since 2012.
Abergele Hospital, Llanfair Road LL22 8DP formerly Abergele Chest Hospital. Built in 1910 as a hospital for children from Manchester with tuberculosis. [Sources: wales.nhs.uk – gives the above, but says it opened in 1931. Became a chest hospital in the mid-1950s. Latterly largely orthopaedic]
HM Stanley Hospital, Upper Denbigh Road, St Asaph, LL17 0RS originated as St Asaph Union Workhouse, to which an infirmary was added around the turn of the century. Major additions to south in interwar years.
Wrexham Maelor Hospital, Croesnewydd Road, LL13 7TD To the east of the site, the former Wrexham Union Workhouse, to the west a fever hospital (c.1880s-90s). In between a substantial workhouse infirmary appears to have been built prior to the First World War. To the south Plas Maelor Institution was built in the interwar period. Major extensions of the 1980s.
Royal Alexandra Hospital, Marine Drive, Rhyl, LL18 3AS late Victorian pavilion-plan hospital, western pavilions built by 1899, rest completed by 1912. Also has the Emi-Glan Traeth Day Hospital
Chirk Community Hospital, LL14 5LN Opened in 1990, on the site of the original Chirk and District Hospital, or Chirk Cottage Hospital, built and financed by the local coal miners. Foundation stones preserved in new entrance hall. (Probably inter-war, up by 1938 not on 1912 map).
Colwyn Bay Community Hospital, Hesketh Road, LL29 8AY Began as a small cottage hospital opened in 1899. Greatly extended in the inter-war years, and post-war. According to Wales.nhs.uk, by 1919 the original cottage hospital had become too small to cope with the growing population, so a monster fundraising effort was begun to finance a new building. While developing the plans architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes wrote to America for copies of the latest hospital designs, these illustrated the first departure from the Florence Nightingale ward layout and subsequently it is believed that Colwyn Bay was the first hospital in the United Kingdom to adopt this new design. Outpatients department added 1955-60. An EMI (elderly mentally infirm) unit was also added to the site and officially opened in 1995
Denbigh Community Hospital, Ruthin Road, LL16 3ES Formerly Denbighshire Infirmary, built by 1875. Major extension to rear 1970s-80s. Founded in 1807, said to be the first voluntary hospital in Wales.
Flint Community Hospital, Cornist Road, CH6 5HG Flint Cottage Hospital. ?inter-war.
Holywell Community Hospital, Halkyn Road, CH8 7TZ Opened in 2008. Replaced the former Holywell Cottage Hospital, Lluesty Hospital, Holywell Clinics and GP surgery.
Llangollen Community Hospital, Abbey Road, LL20 8SP Cottage hospital, built between 1875 and 1899
Mold Community Hospital, The Grove, CH7 1RH A small cottage hospital, built by 1899, possibly surviving next to a large community hospital opened in 1985.
Prestatyn Community Hospital, 49 The Avenue, LL19 9RD Chatsworth House Maternity Home, large 1920s building.
Ruthin Community Hospital, Llanrhydd Street, LL15 1PS Poor Law infirmary built in 1914 for Ruthin Union Workhouse, immediately to the north-west. Greatly extended in the 1970s-80s, at which time – or thereabouts – the workhouse buildings were demolished.
Deeside Community Hospital, Plough Lane, Shotton, CH5 1XS Big, low-rise hospital opened in 1992, replacing Mancot Hospital. New unit added in 2004 for elderly rehabilitation.
Penley Hospital Penley Polish Community Hospital. EMS hospital, of which about a third seems to survive. On the 1950s OS map as the Polish Hospital. It is just to the east of Penley, and another large EMS hospital was built to the south-east
Nightingale House, Grove Road, Wrexham, LL11 1DY inter-war general hospital (Wrexham and East Denbighshire War Memorial Hospital), part of this, and detached chapel, now annex of college (Coleg Cambria), but much demolished. Former Nurses’ Home, at some distance to north, was originally a private house that was extended (now Emral House nursing home), a health centre and a hospice (Nightingale House) built on the site in the 1980s?
Ysbyty Gwynedd, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor LL57 2PW Large 1980s general hospital on greenfield site.
Lady Forester’s Convalescent Home Llandudno SH 7969 8126
Convalescent home, built 1898-1904 to designs by E. B. I’Anson. The builders were W. Brown & Sons. In the early 21st Century the building was in use as the North Wales Medical Centre. This closed around 2006 and the building was empty and awaiting a new use in 2007. In 2011 it became a Blind Veterans UK centre (the charity that was formerly St Dunstans).
Llandudno General Hospital, LL30 1LB Llandudno Fever Hospital (first block built by 1890s) to the north became part of larger ?post-war general hospital (not on 1937 map, there on map published in 1960). Greatly extended 1980s-90s.
Bryn Beryl Hospital, Caernarvon Road, Pwllheli, LL53 6TT absence of mapping, but looks like an inter-war building that was expanded post-war. From appearance and isolated position, former sanatorium or isolation hospital?
Pwllheli Day Hospital, Ala Road, LL53 5BL former Pwllheli Union Workhouse
Dolgellau and Barmouth District Hospital, LL40 1NT Cottage Hospital opened in 1929. A Mrs Dowthwaite of Aberdyfi subscribed £1,500 towards the fund, and also promised £500 towards X-ray equipment. It had taken 9 years to raise the money for building the hospital which included a maternity ward. Extension 1933, funds raised for Children’s Ward 1937, further extension 1938. In 1974 a new general unit was opened, which lead to the closure of maternity homes in Dogellau and Barmouth. Further additions in the 1980s and new maternity unit 1998. [Sources: Wales.nhs.uk ]
Llwyn View Hospital, Dolgellau former Dogellau Union Workhouse (now converted to private housing)
Ffestiniog Memorial Hospital, Wynne Road, Blaenau Ffestiniog, LL41 3DW War memorial hospital, post First World War
Tywyn & District War memorial Hospital, LL36 9HH another memorial to the First World War (extended to the Second World War) – looks a bit prettier than the Ffestiniog one. Also fair-sized extension in the 1980s or thereabouts, and even larger 21st C extension. The foundation stone was laid Mrs David Lloyd George on 11th August 1920 and the hospital opened by Dr Alban Davies on 17th August 1922. In 1932 a maternity unit was built. The Tywyn Hospital Appeal Fund raised £32,000 and a continuing care ward (Dyfi) was added which was opened in 1973 by HRH Prince Phillip. [Sources: Wales.nhs.uk ]
Ysbyty Alltwen, Tremadog, Porthmadog, LL49 9RN spanking new hospital on greenfield site to west of Tremadog, opened 2009. Wales NHS website gives the following information:
Ysbyty Penrhos Stanley, Penrhos Beach Road, Holyhead, LL65 2QA Opened in 1996. Replaced the Valley Hospital and the Stanley Sailors Hospital
Cefni Hospital, Bridge Street, Llandgefni, LL77 7PP rebuilt hospital opened 1993 and replaced former Cefni and Druid hospitals. Since 2009 a dedicated centre for older people with memory problems. Original hospital built between 1900 and 1920 on the same site.
Eryri Hospital, The Park, Caernarfon, LL55 2YE Caernarfon Union Workhouse infirmary, built in 1910-13 to the north-east of the 1845 workhouse building (parts of which survive). Extensions of 1973 provided day rooms etc. It then had 67 beds, and catered for orthopaedic and surgical patients. After the opening of the new general hospital at Bangor in 1984, Eryri closed for about a year. Alterations were then carried out before it re-opened in 1985 for rehabilitation of the elderly. [Sources: Wales.nhs.uk ]
Brynseiont Hospital, Pant Road, Caernarfon, LL55 2YU Demolished. A private house, with ward wing built to north. Extended in the 1970s-80s. Site cleared and a new dementia care centre built 2015.
Tan-Y-Castell, Mwrog Street, Ruthin, LL15 1LE nursing home, 1980s
Bryn-Y-Neuadd Hospital, Aber Road, Llanfairfechan, LL33 0HH psychiatric hospital built 1967-71. The mansion house on the site had been acquired by St Andrews Hospital, Northampton, in 1898. It was demolished when the new hospital was built. [Sources: Llanfairfechan.org.uk ]
Heath Convalescent Home, Llanfairfechan SH 6846 7534 Built in 1897 to designs by Thomas Bower. It was established as a memorial to Robert Heath, ironmaster.
More recently the building was in use as government offices. [Sources: American Architect & Building News, 14 March 1896 – architectural perspective of the east front: National Monuments Record of Wales]
Llangwyfan Hospital, Denbigh Now Alexander House, Highfield Park, owned by Mental Health Care UK. It was built as the North Wales Sanatorium, in 1918-20 by the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association (which also built the sanatorium at Talgarth). Closed in 1981. [Sources. RCAHMW]
Bronglais General Hospital, Caradoc Road, Aberystwyth, SY23 1ER Post-war general hospital, built to east of the former workhouse. Major extensions to north ? early 21stC. Bronglais Geriatric Hospital on separate site, the former workhouse infirmary. Much rebuilt from 1930s, now demolished for blocks of flats.
Ty Helyg Day Hospital, Caradoc Road, Aberystwyth, SY23 1ER Part of Bronglais General Hospital.
South Pembrokeshire Hospital, Fort Road, Pembroke Dock, SA72 6SY (incorporates Havenway Day Hospital) The Dockyard Naval Hospital, built by 1908. Added to and extended ?post 1990s.
Withybush Hospital, Fishguard Road, Haverfordwest, SA61 2PZ ?established as EMS hospital. New hospital built to south and staff housing to the east in 1960s-70s and original buildings demolished to make way for further buildings.
West Wales General Hospital, Dolgwili Road, SA31 2AF EMS hospital replaced in 1960s.
Llandovery Hospital, Llanfair Road, SA20 0LA Llandovery Union Workhouse
Cardigan and District Memorial Hospital, Pontycleifion, Cardigan, SA43 1DP established after First World War – converted house?
Prince Philip Hospital, Bryngwyn Mawr, Dafen, Llanelli, SA14 8QF New general hospital built on green field site in the 1980s.
Mynydd Mawr Hospital, Upper Tumble, SA14 6BU West Wales Isolation Hospital, probably established between the wars. Post-1990s extension to the east.
Aberaeron Hospital, Princes Avenue, SA46 0JJ
Tregaron Hospital, Dewi Road, SY25 6JP
Amman Valley Hospital, Folland Road, Glanamman, Ammanford, SA18 2BQ
St Davids Hospital, Jobs Well Road, Carmarthen, SA31 3HG
New Tenby Cottage Hospital, Gas Lane, Tenby, SA70 8AG
Pontypool and District Hospital, Leigh Road SO 274 022. Demolished.
Established as a voluntary hospital c.1903, later becoming a general NHS hospital. It was a substantial stone-faced building of 2 and 3 storeys on two levels, with castle-like semi-turrets and parapets. The hospital was closed in February 1994 and demolished shortly thereafter. [Sources: RCAHMW.]
Rhymney Cottage Hospital