Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road
900-bed university teaching hospital, opened in 1986. 15-storey tower block, third tallest in Ireland (76m/250ft high). International reputation for its cancer research programme. A new Oncology Centre opened in 2006. Began as a workhouse on Lisburn Road. Fever Hospital was built on this site in 1849 run by the Board of Guardians. Infirmary buildings were designed by Mr Lanyon. A Maternity Hospital was also establishd on the City hospital site by Dr McLeish. See Ulster Medical Society.
Belvoir Park Hospital, Belfast
Latterly serving as a cancer hospital, it opened in 1906 as Belfast City Infectious Diseases Hospital. The buildings were designed in 1900-1 by the local architects, Young & Mackenzie.
Construction took place between 1904 and 1906, the building contractor was Robert Corry Ltd of Belfast. Decorative stone carving was undertaken by Winter & Thompson. It was the first municipal hospital built by Belfast City Corporation.The site, part of Purdysburn Estate, had been intended for a lunatic asylum, but it was decided to use a part of the ground for a hospital for infectious diseases instead. A local Act of Parliament of 1903 was required (City of Belfast Hospitals Act).
The architect, John Mackenzie, visited fever hospitals in England and Scotland before plans were finalised and approved in August 1901. When the hospital was officially opened in 1906 it comprised the admin block and five ward pavilions (one for observation cases) and ancillary buildings (disinfecting house, laundry, engine and boiler house, stables, mortuary, and lodges). Later additions were also designed by Young & Mackenzie prior to the outbreak of the First World War. A Nurses’ Home of 1926 was designed by James R. Young, of Young & Mackenzie.
Generally known as Purdysburn Fever Hospital, it was renamed the Northern Ireland Fever Hospital and Radiotherapy Centre and then Belvoir Park Hospital. Closed 2006. Site redeveloped by Neptune Group in 2014-17, retaining parts of the original buildings. See Northern Ireland Listed Buildings Database
Claremont Street Hospital
Forster Green Hospital
Begun in Forbreda House, bought from the Crawford Family by a wealthy Quaker tea-merchant and developed as a sanatorium. City morgue built in grounds, buildings were disused and awaiting re-developement in 2016. Non-acute hospital, services include neurology, care of older people and child and family centre. On the same site is the Knockbreda Health and Wellbeing centre, opened in 2009. Various new buildings proposed or in progress on the site, critical care building, 2015, Acute Mental Health Inpatient Unit, 2017, New Children’s Hospital, 2021; Knockbracken Healthcare Park
Haypark Hospital, Whitehall Parade
Mater Infirmorum Hospital
Acute hospital with 236 beds, first opened in 1883 on Crumlin Road and known as Bedeque House. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy, but non-denominational. Replaced by a new building on Mountveiw Terrace in 1900 and was recognized as a university teaching hospital in 1909, associated with the Queen’s University Medical School. A maternity unit opened in 1945, in 1952 a Neruopsychiatry department opened – the first to be based in an acute hospital. Only became fully integrated in the NHS in 1972. Mixed era buildings – from late Victorian and Edwardian to ?1970s glass curtain-wall block. A new Day Procedure Unit opened in 2001, and a radiology department in 2007. refs and sources: Rory S Casement, ‘History of the Mater Infirmorum Hospitals’ in The Ulster Medical Journal, 38 (1) 31 Oct 1968 pp. 62-75
Musgrave Park Hospital
Regional specialist hospital specializing in orthopaedics, rheumatology, sports medicine and rehabilitation. Located in suburbs of South Belfast and named after the adjacent municipal parkland. Opened in 1920. During the Second World War it became a temporary base for soldiers in the American army preparing for the Normandy landings, housed in Nissen huts on the site.
In 1950 the Northern Ireland Hospitals Authority turned to the Nuffield Provincial Hospital Trust’s research team to design an extension to the hospital, the result of which was Nuffield House. In 1953 the designs Richard Llewelyn Davies and John Weeks were completed, the building itself was built between 1955 and 1957. It was officially opened by the Duchess of Gloucester in October 1957. This fairly modest two-storey block, was hugely influential. The low-rise ward elevations were given a distinctive glazing pattern, with a continuous strip of clerestorey lights beneath which the plain wall surface was punctuated by further window bays. central sterile supply department and an operating theatre. Further additions by the Nuffield team to the site were a central sterile supply unit – probably the first in the United Kingdom – and an operating theatre suite.
The war-time huts were demolished to make way for a Regional Acquired Brain Injury Unit which opened in 2006. refs and sources: Northern Ireland, Hospitals Authority. South Belfast Hospitals Management Committee, Nuffield House, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, 1957: Nuffield Foundation. Division for Architectural Studies, Nuffield House, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast: The Case History of a New Hospital Building, 1962.: The Irish Times, 9 Oct 1957, p.9
Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children
Founded in 1879. Wellcome Collection view of the hospital seems very old-fashioned for 1879, unless it was in an older building? refs and sources: H. G. Calwell ‘The history of the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, The Queen Street days’ in The Ulster Medical Journal, 40(2) 1971, pp.85-110.
Royal Jubilee Maternity
Moved to present site in 1933 and became the Royal Maternity Hospital officially opened in 1934, in 1935 the Belfast Board of Guardians officially opened the Jubilee Materniy Hospital. The Mater Infirmorum opened a 24-bed hospital in 1942 for maternity cases. One of four linked hospitals that makes up Northern Ireland’s biggest hospital complex.
[refs and sources: John F. O’Sullivan, ‘Two Hundred Years of Midwifery 1806-2007’ in the Ulster Medical Journal, 2006 Sep; 75 (3) pp 213-222 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1891762/ ]
Royal Victoria Hospital
One of the most extraordinary Victorian general hospitals built in the UK, with an amazing turreted verandah-balcony extending along the end of the ward pavilions. Origins lie with a number of institutions, from the Belfast Fever Hospital and General Dispensary in Factory Row – the dispensary opening in 1792, the hospital in 1797. The move to its present site in Grosvenor Road was made in 1903. The hospital was designed by Henman and Cooper of Birmingham in 1899, completed in 1906. Claimed to be the first air-conditioned public building in the world.
Mid-20th century additions – unspecified. Re-modeling completed between 2001 and 2003, a new building replaced the red brick Victorian hospital gained commendation in the Royal Cosity of Ulster Architects Design Awards and a commendation in the Irish Landscape Institute Awards of 2002. This was phase one, phase 2a comprises an imaging and central decontamination centres, completed in 2006-7; phase 2b a critical care building (planning consent 2007); phase 2c replacement of outpatient centre and eye, ear, nose and throat buildings. Also to be a new women’s and children’s hospital.
Samaritan Hospital, Lisburn Road
Shaftesbury Square Hospital, 116-118 Great Victoria Street
Built as the Belfast Ophthalmic Institution on a site acquired from the Rev. H. T. Cooke for £2,230. It was designed by W. J. Barre for Lady Johnson, in memory of her father Mr Thomas Hughes. The builders were Messrs Fulton. The hospital opened on 1st January 1868. It was extended by Blackwood & Jury 1927.
The Institution relocated to the Royal Victoria Hospital in 1946. Following the Second World War the hospital was run by the Northern Ireland Hospitals Authority and in 1969 it was renamed ‘Shaftsbury Square Hospital’. The Belfast Health & Social Care Trust closed the building in 2010 and later sold the building along with Nos 118-120 Great Victoria Street, which had been amalgamated into the hospital in the later 20th century. Nos 116-120 were placed on the market during autumn 2012 by Ardmore Commercial, on behalf of the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust.
TB Institute, Durham Street
Opened in 1918, built to designs by Young & Mackenzie. Later used as blood donor centre.
Throne Hospital, Whitewell Road
Children’s hospital, opened 1874, with separate convalescent home added in 1877. Later became a hospital for the elderly. Closed 1992.
Antrim Area Hospital
Largest hospital in the Northern Trust. Acute Hospital. Nucleus Hospital, Doran Consulting provided the civil and structural engineering servides for the 300-bed hospital that was built on a green field site for the Health Estates Agency. Nucleus concept adapted to accommodate 3-storey height construction. In situ reinforced concrete was used up to eaves level, with structural steelwork and timer being used in the pitched roof construction. The reinforced concrete design benefited from the modular planning concept and variations from the structural arrangement adopted were minimal. A key feature of the design was the use of a structural ceiling grid at eaves level. This grid not only supports services but also provides substantial restraint to the top of the partition studding.
The scheme had a 30-month design period, a 36-month construction period and the constract was procured using the traditional tender route. During construction, a new Area Laboratory Block was added to the contract. The hospital was opened on the due date and was within budget, despite the main contractor having to be replaced late in the contract when the parent company went into receivership. ources and refs: Doran Consulting https://www.doran.co.uk/antrim-area-hospital – see also Antrim Area Hospital A&E dept on same site
Former County Antrim Lunatic Asylum, built in 1894-9 to designs by John Lanyon of Belfast. The builders were H & J Martin, also of Belfast. Elements of an echelon plan – but not many pavilions – has single-storey link corridors etc. Still acute etc mental health services, with 149 beds for acute admission, dementia assessment etc. [refs and sources: Northern Ireland Listed Buildings database ]
Muckamore Abbey Hospital
Mental Deficiency Institution, 1930s. Completed in the 1950s for 1,000 patients housed in 22 villas each housing 40 to 50 residents. Cost for completed was estimated at £2m in 1956. Still providing inpatients etc facilities for people with severe learning disabilities and mental health needs, forensic needs or challenging behaviour. [Ref: The Hospital, Vol. 52, no.3, March 1956, pp.180-1]
Non-acute community hospital 32 beds. Formerly a workhouse for Ballycastle Poor Law Union designed by George Wilkinson and built in 1841-2 for 300 inates. and fever hospital, the workhouse has since been demolished. Became Dalriada District Hospital after 1923. Building looks 1960s/70s
Balleymena Cottage Hospital
Braid Valley Hospital
Braid Valley Care Complex –former workhouse for 900 inmates built in 1843 by George Wilkinson, plus a muddle of low-rise buildings and temporary structures. . New health centre by Keppie and Hoskins 2016, commissioned in 2008. [refs and sources: RIBAJ https://www.ribaj.com/buildings/missed-appointment ]
Built in 1912-15 to designs by Patterson and Grahame, architects, for the Ballymena Board of Guardians. The building contractor was William Dowling of Belfast. Erected on the north side of the Ballymena Workhouse, the building was ‘practically completed’ by the end of February 1915. The work was carried out by the Ballymena Board of Guardians to replace the old infirmary at the workhouse. In 1914, at the outbreak of the war, it was placed at the disposal of the War Office for nursing wounded soldiers.
The Local Government Board inspectors had long been commenting on the need for an improvement to the existing infirmary at the workhouse, and sanctioned a loan of £7,500 for the new building. The local newspaper considered that the plans, by Patterson ad Graham(e), displayed ‘clever architectural ability’. Tenders were received in April 1913, of which William Dowling’s was the lowest at £6,585. F. D. Brown acted as consulting mechanical engineer.
Work commenced in the Spring of 1913, supervised by Arthur Taylor, from Caergwrie, Flintshire, Wales, the clerk of works. At a late stage in the contract Taylor left to take up another appointment and Hugh McCann, from Ballymena, took over for the remainder of the work, including laying out the grounds.
The local newspaper was enthusiastic about the new building: ‘Viewed from the exterior, the hospital is an imposing building, presenting that light, clean appearance typical of modern structures of the kind’. It had nicely planted well laid out grounds. The exterior of the building was roughcast, painted white, the roof of green Buttermere slates.
Inside, a spacious entrance hall gave access to ‘lofty corridors’ to left and right connecting the two main ground-floor wards in the wings, each with fourteen beds, and smaller wards in the central block. To the rear of the entrance hall were the kitchen and services. A sanitary tower at each end of the corridor contained the lavatories etc, ‘The various fittings and fixtures in these white-tiled lavatories are the las word in modern hospital equipment.’
A wide stone stair led to the upper floor, where there was a similar arrangement of large wards in the wings and smaller ones in the central block, but there was also an operating theatre, surgery and nurses’ sitting room. Nurses’ bedrooms were provided in the attics. The hall, corridors, operating room and service areas had terrazzo paving, the wards having pitch pine floors. All angles between walls, ceilings and floors were rounded off to prevent dust from accumulating.
The trades and craftsmen employed in building the hospital were: Alex.Clyde, Ballymena, plumbing and sanitary work; Messrs Riddels Ltd Belfast, and Walter Macfarlane & Co, Glasgow, ironwork; Messrs Peter Fraser & Co. Ltd, Glasgow, Terrazzo paving; Messrs Norman MacNaughton & Sons, Belfast, wall tiling; Messrs Walter Hirst & Son, Ballymena, roads and avenues. Heating was by low pressure system, installed by Saunders & Taylor, Dublin. [Sources: Dictionary of Irish Architects; Ballymena Weekly Telegraph, 27 Feb 1915, p.5.]
Formerly the Robinson Memorial Hospital opened in 1933, a gift from Samuel Robinson of Philadelphia in memory of his parents.Designed by Thomas Houston, of Belfast. Intermediate care facility, for rehab after fracture surgery, also palliative care. Next to the Ballymoney Health Centre. [refs and sources: http://robinsonmemorialhospital.org.uk ]
Carrickfergus Hospital (demolished)
Peter Stott Martin House, Craigs
Former workhouse built 1841-2 to designs by Geroge Wilkinson for 400 inmates. Fever hospital added in mid-1840s. Larne Poor Law Infirmary and from 1929 Larne District Hospital. Front wing demolished. – now community hospital and outpaeitn services. Intermediate Care Unit on the site in the Inver Building. refs and sources: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, admin records from 1903: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Larne/
Sir Thomas and Lady Edith Dixon Hospital, Cairndhu
Lagan Valley Hospital
Workhouse on the site, Lusburn Poor House, became Lisburn and Hillsborough Distric Hospital in 1922. Renamed Lagan Valley Hospital in 1947 after a major extension. Enlarged since, in part due to closure of geriatric units at Killowen and Lissue, and c.2000 gained a new A&E wing.
Greenisland Hospital, Shore Road
Sub-acute hospital – range of buildings – at the core what looks like a c.1900 U-shaped block, then there are some 2WW single-storey hutted blocks and a Nissen hut– or were on the google aerial photo – then a very dreary 1980s? four-storey lump or a building. Sanatoria formerly?
Armagh Community Hospital
Former workhouse, for Armagh Poor Law Union, built in 1840-1, George Wilkinson, – large for 1,000 inmates . Later known as Tower Hill Hospital. http://www.geograph.ie/photo/4998579 . refs and sources: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Armagh/.
Built in 1774 to designs by George Ensor.
Possibly part of St Luke’s site – just to north on other side of Mullinure Lane – post-war, low-rise
Mullinure Health & Wellbeing Centre
On the site of St Luke’s – small single-storey building ?date – looks 1970s.
St Luke’s Hospital
Former County Lunatic Asylum – radial plan
Tower Hill Hospital (see Armagh Community Hospital)
Assessment clinic and community stroke rehab service. Former Wilkinson Workhouse of 1840-1 but much altered and parts demolished. 1929 became Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital
Carlton Maternity Hospital
Craigavon Area Hospital
Teaching hospital, opened in 1972 to serve Craigavon New Town, replacing Carleton House, Lurgan Hospital, Bandbridge Hospital and others as the main acute centre in the region. Until the 2006 reform of the NI Health and Social Care trusts, the hospital was the main centre of the Craigavon Area Hospital Group Trust, which was amalgamated with several other trusts to form the Southern Health and Social Care Trust.
New Dorsy Psychiatric unit (Beattie Flanigan, consulting engineers). Lots of post-2000 buildings
Bluestone Mental Health Unit
On the Craigavon site – built 2003-14 The design for the project has been developed by architects Milligan Reside Larkin Limited and O’Hagan and Associates Limited. [refs and sources: https://www.farrans.com/media-centre/news/works-begin-at-bluestone-mental-health-unit ]
Banbridge Hospital (demolished)
Former workhouse later Banbridge District Hospital http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Banbridge/
Opened 2016 health and care centre replaced health centre at Scarva St, Banbridge Social Education Centre for adults with learning disabilities and Copperfileds, a day care centre for adults with a physical disability.
Bangor Community Hospital
Rather nice looking ?early 60s block
Local 49-bed hospital, includes maternity – designed by Scott Wilson, won an RIBA award for it in 2010. According to e-architect, the modern three storey hospital has been designed to be sympathetic to its historic landscape and provides a bright, welcoming and healing environment for patients, staff and visitors. RIBA judges commented “The new building departs from the original institutional form by breaking down the mass of an array of smaller wings springing from a central entrance. One benefit of disintegrating a large building into smaller architectural forms is the effect it has on the sense of wellbeing in the hospital’s many rooms. All spaces are daylit and where possible naturally ventilated. This is not groundbreaking or heroic architecture, but it is a sophisticated response to a complex building type, which owes its success to straightforward design that is welcoming and offers a sense of reassuring ease to its users.”
Replaced earlier hospital, empty and boarded up in 2014. [refs and sources: http://www.geograph.ie/photo/4138457 : https://www.e-architect.co.uk/ireland/downe-hospital
Former Down District Lunatic Asylum. Originally built between 1865 and 1869 to designs by the county Surveyor, Henry Smyth. It provided accommodation for 333 patients, in four wards, two infirmaries and 45 single rooms. Later extensions and additions included two-storey pavilion end blocks in 1882-3, extensions of c.1895 and c.1904, gasworks 1905, Finneston House, 1955. Later changed its name to Down Mental Hospital and, under the NHS, Downshire Hospital. It was listed category B1 in 1983. [refs and sources: Northern Ireland Historic Listed Buildings database]
Cowan Heron Hospital
Teaching hospital. Founded as the Ulster Hospital for Women and Sick Children in 1872, originally on Chichester Street in Belfast city centre moved to Mountpottinger Road, then Templemore Avenue. The hospital was destroyed during the Second World War, and plans to build a replacement were made under the National Health Service. In March 1956 work was scheduled to commence soon, to provide a hospital of 500 beds for general cases as well as for women and children. The estimated cost at that time was £2m. The design of the complex was prepared by Frederick Gibberd for the Northern Ireland Hospital Authority in four distinct buildings: maternity; out-patients and main entrance; children’s, Radiology-Pathology; and the main ward blocks. A standard ward unit was designed for all three ward blocks, based on a grid of 10ft 6in. centres, with a depth of 24ft, two bays forming a six-bed ward. The buildings were of steel-frame construction, faced in pre-cast exposed aggregate cladding slabs or brickwork – the latter for end stops to some elevations.
The new building was completed in 1962 at Dunonald, renamed the Ulster Hospital. Plans to replace the hospital with an entirely new building around 2000 were scrapped in favour of refurbishment. A new maternity block, critical care unit and renal unit were built, revised redevelopment plans were made in 2006, and for anew operating theatres and a mulit-storey car park. The latter opened in 2007. [Sources: Architects’ Journal, 17 Oct 1957, p.607.]
Daisy Hill Hospital
Local teaching hospital. On the site of the former Newry Workhouse. Proposals for a new building on the site.
Newry General Hospital
Ards Community Hospital
Former workhouse http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Newtownards/
Erne Hospital (demolished)
Opened in 1964. Four storeys, medical, surgical, gynae, assessment unit, etc. connected accommodation incorporated maternity and neo-natal services. Closed 2012
South West Acute Hospital
Opened in 2012 following closure of the Erne Hospital, opened by Queen Elizabeth. First in Northern Ireland with single side rooms.
Causeway Hospital, 4 Newbridge Rd, Coleraine BT52 1HS
Acute general hospital, opened in 2001, 240 beds, taken 11 years to complete and replaced Coleraine Hospital and the Route Hospital in Ballymoney. Scheme was approved in 1997.
Mary Ranken Hospital
Altnagelvin Area Hospital
Plans for a new general hospital to serve the north west of Northern Ireland were drawn up by Yorke, Rosenberg and Mardall, and work began in 1949, although the hospital was not completed until 1960. The early plans comprised three separate blocks, the general hospital and maternity wing to the south, with garages, laundry and boiler house block to its north-east, and on the north side staff accommodation. Plans were for a total of 576 patients’ beds distributed as follows: Maternity 70; Antenatal, 30; general surgery, 175; general medical, 150; paediatrics, 40; gynaecology, 35; ophthalmology, 20; ENT, 30; dermatology, 10; psychiatry, 8; sick staff, 8. The design was dramatic, tall slab blocks, the staff accommodation in three sections set at right-angles to each other, the main ward block angled to make the most of its south-facing setting. By 1954 these plans had been considerably scaled back, the exciting angled ward block abandoned in favour of straight blocks, and the whole scheme now parcelled up for phased construction. The number of beds, too, were reduced to 300 and the complex divided into two wings, an 11-storey ward wing, and an 8-storey treatment wing. Maternity cases were absorbed back into the main ward wing.
Originally just known as the Londonderry hospital, a new name was chosen as completion was nearing in 1959. It was named after the area of Altnaglevin where it was built, courting criticism for such a lack of imagination. When the first phase was completed in 1960 it was hailed in the architectural press as the first completely new hospital to be finished in the United Kingdom since the war. This is arguable. Vale of Leven Hospital, Alexandria, to the north of Glasgow, was completed in 1955.
Additions and expansion taken place since 2004. [Sources. The Hospital, Jan. 1960, p.69.]
Foyle Hospital and Special Care Centre
New acute mental health inpatient unit in Londonderry, opened in 2012 at Gransha Park
Gransha Hospital Built to replace the former Londonderry Lunatic Asylum, built in 1827-9, a little north of this site. Plans had been drawn up by 1956 for a new hospital for mental patients at an estimated cost of £2m, to provide 750 beds. It was designed on the villa system, with villas ranging in size from 30 to 60 beds. Lakeview Hospital (below) was built on part of the site, though many of the villas were extant c.2012 [Ref: The Hospital, Vol. 52, no.3, March 1956, pp.180-1.]
Lakeview Hospital, 12a Gransha Park, Clooney Road, Londonderry BT47 6WJ
For adults and children with learning disabilities, it opened in late 2005, replacing Gransha Hospital (latterly named Stradreagh Hospital).
St Columb’s Hospital
Waterside Hospital mental health care facility built in the 1980s-90s.
Roe Valley Hospital
Former Limavady Union workhouse , now Limavady Community Development Initiative, with most of the original buildings surviving and renovated for other uses.
Former workhouse http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Magherafelt/
Derg Valley Hospital
The Valley Hospital had its origins in Castelderg workhouse, being the fever hospital associated with it of c.1847. The workhouse closed in 1929 and was subsequently demolished, but in the same year the fever hospital was modernised and extended to become the Derg Valley Hospital. Refs and sources: Northern Ireland Listed Buildings database. workhouses.org .
South Tyrone Hospital, Carland Rd, Dungannon BT71 4AU
Now a community hospital, looks 1970s 6-storeys, concrete frame.
Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex
Opened 20 June 2017
Tyrone County Hospital
Occupied site from 1899. Closed 2017? Replaced by newly built Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex
Tyrone and Fermanagh Hospital
Former Omagh District Lunatic Asylum built in 1848-53 to designs by William Farrell of Dublin for the Irish Board of Works. Acute mental health inpatient service. [refs and sources: Northern Ireland Listed Buildings database.]
Derg Straben Hospital
External to Northern Ireland
The State Hospital is in Carstairs, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Non-NHS hospitals in Northern Ireland
Fitzwilliam Clinic, Belfast (founded 2004)
Hillsborough Clinic, Hillsborough
Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Belfast (2003)
North West Independent Hospital, Ballykelly
Ulster Independent Clinic, Belfast (founded in the 1980s?)