West Midlands

BIRMINGHAM

All Saints’ Hospital (Birmingham Borough Fever Hospital) SP 049 883 102745

All Saints’ Hospital (City of Birmingham Pauper Lunatic Asylum) SK 044 884 100824

Birmingham Accident Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre (Queen’s Hospital) SK 062 861 100754

Birmingham and Midland Ear and Throat Hospital SP 090 870 100815

Birmingham and Midland Eye Hospital SP 090 870 100816

Birmingham and Midland Homoeopathic Hospital SP 090 870 100806

Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Women SP 091 835 101588

Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Broad Street SP 065 865 100814

Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Ladywood Road SP 055 863 101589

Birmingham Dental Hospital SP 090 870 100812

Birmingham General Hospital (The New Birmingham General Hospital) SK073 874 100752

Birmingham General Hospital SK 072 877 100751

Birmingham Maternity Hospital SP 090 870 100813

Dudley Road Hospital (Birmingham Union Workhouse) SP 047 878 100400

East Birmingham Hospital (Birmingham Corporation Infectious Diseases Hospital) SP 117 867 102743

East Birmingham Hospital, Chest Department (Birmingham Corporation Infectious Diseases Hospital; Birmingham City Sanatorium, Yardley Green Hospital) SP 113 864 102742

Hollymoor Hospital (Third City of Birmingham Lunatic Asylum) SP 003 784 100823

Jaffray Hospital (Jaffray Suburban Hospital) SK 108 912 100766

Moseley Hall Hospital (Moseley Hall; Moseley Hall Convalescent Home for Children) SP 074 831  100765

Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre (Birmingham United Hospitals; Queen Elizabeth Hospital) SK 043 839 100753

Rubery Hill Hospital (Second City of Birmingham Lunatic Asylum) SO 992 778 100825

St Chad’s Hospital SP 045 860 100025

West Heath Hospital (Kings Norton RSA Infectious Diseases Hospital; West Heath Sanatorium) SP 033 777 102744

COVENTRY

Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital SP 336 796 100667

Coventry Fever Hospital SP 336 797 100663

Gulson Road Hospital (Coventry Union Workhouse) SP 342 787 100715

Paybody Hospital (The Elms; Coventry and District Crippled Children’s Guild Convalescent Home) SP 303 805 100755

Whitely Hospital (Coventry Isolation Hospital) SP 351 771 100664

DUDLEY

Corbett Hospital (Hill House) SO 900 852 100759

Guest Hospital (Blind Asylum) SJ 951 914 100757

Stourbridge Dispensary SO 898 842 100758

HALESOWEN

Hayley Green Hospital (Stourbridge and Halesowen Isolation Hospital) SO 946 819 102738

KNOWLE

Middlefield Hospital (Midland Counties Idiot Asylum) SP 176 756 100822

SANDWELL

Moxley Hospital (South Staffordshire Joint Smallpox Hospital) SO 968 950 102740

SUTTON COLDFIELD

Sutton Coldfield Hospital (Sutton Coldfield Cottage Hospital) SK 129 967 100764

WALSALL

Ambulance Training Centre (Pelsall Hall; Pelsall Hall Sanatorium, Nurse Training School) SK 016 033 102748

Goscote Hospital (Walsall Isolation Hospital). This isolation hospital, designed by John Taylor, the Borough Engineer, was built in 1928-30 and comprised an administration block, and two ward blocks. In 1933 a pavilion for tuberculosis cases was added with 22 beds and in 1936 the administration block was extended and an additional ward block built for infectious cases. The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948, specializing in chest cases and admitting pre-convalescent patients from other Walsall hospitals. In 1973 a geriatric unit was built on the site and further additions made in the 1980s. The Tb pavilion and the ward block added in 1936 have been demolished. SK 015 018, BF101386

Manor Hospital (Walsall Union Workhouse) SP 003 984 101385

St Margaret’s Hospital (Great Barr Hall; Great Barr Colony for Mental Defectives) SP 057 953 101384

Walsall and District Hospital (Walsall General Hospital) Spoil 980 100807

Walsall General (Sister Dora) Hospital (Walsall Cottage Hospital; Walsall and District Hospital) SP 011 980 102045

Walsall General Hospital (Walsall Borough Epidemic Hospital) SP 008 997 102746

WEDNESFIELD

New Cross Hospital (Wolverhampton Union Workhouse). A large new workhouse and infirmary was built in 1901-1903 to replace the old and overcrowded building in Bilston Road. It was designed by Arthur Marshall of Nottingham who was appointed after a limited competition assessed by Thomas Aldwinckle, was held for the plans. The large new, red-brick complex, on a 50½ acre site, comprised new workhouse accommodation in pavilions to either side of an administration building, a large dining hall capable of seating 800 inmates and a group of workshops. To the rear of this was the infirmary, also on a pavilion plan, and behind that an imbecile block. At some distance to the north-east was a separate isolation hospital. A detached nurses’ home was also built along with vagrants wards, new Guardian offices and a receiving block. In all there was sufficient accommodation for 1,326 inmates and staff. The buildings passed to the control of the County Borough of Wolverhampton’s Public Assistance Department in 1929-30 and became known as New Cross Hospital. It was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and continued in use as a large general hospital into the 1990s with many post-war additions to the site. Many of the original buildings have been demolished. SJ 935 004, BF101381

Wolverhampton Union Workhouse (demolished), Bilston Road. Dating from c.1836 this Kempthorne-plan workhouse was erected for about 750-800 paupers. Several subsidiary buildings were subsequently added to the site including infectious wards in 1867 designed by J. R. Veall. The central site, hemmed in by housing and factories, left no room for expansion and the Guardians eventually had to erect a new workhouse and infirmary on the outskirts of the town in 1903 (Newcross Hospital). The old workhouse was then demolished. SO 925 980, BF101200

WEST BROMWICH

West Bromwich District Hospital SJ 001 912 100756

WOLVERHAMPTON

Bilston UD Fever Hospital SO 950 971 102741

Heath Town Isolation Hospital SO 936 994 102747

Pond Lane Community Handicap Unit (Wolverhampton Borough Hospital for Infectious Diseases) SJ 909 972 102739

Royal Hospital, Cleveland Road (South Staffordshire Hospital and Wolverhampton Dispensary; Wolverhampton and Staffordshire General Hospital). This large general hospital was originally founded as a dispensary in 1821, but later moved to a new, purpose-built hospital, erected in 1846-9 to designs by Edward Bankes, a local architect. Bankes’ building, a two- and three-storey classical block of brick and stone, was one of the last general hospitals to be built in England before the wholesale adoption of the Florence Nightingale-inspired pavilion system of ward planning. In seeming recognition of the building’s inadequacy, the hospital added a Nightingale-plan ward in 1869-72, as well as isolation wards and an out-patients’ department. A four-storey brick nurses’ home, designed by A. W. Worrall, of Wolverhampton, was added in 1907-8. Subsequent additions included: a new ward wing, the King Edward VII Memorial Wing, again by Worrall, the first phase of a never-to-be-realised scheme of reconstruction; a nurses’ annexe (1931), again by Worrall; a combined out-patients’, casualty and children’s building (1928-31), by Elcock & Sutcliffe; and a new three-storey ward block (1940, since extended). SO 919 982, BF101392

West Park Hospital (Wolverhampton Hospital for Women) SO 905 989 101383

Wolverhampton and Midland Counties Eye Infirmary, Compton Road (Wolverhampton Eye Infirmary). Founded in 1881 and originally occupying a converted house, this specialist institution moved in 1888 to a purpose-built hospital on a new site on the outskirts of town. The new hospital, designed by T. H. Fleeming and constructed by H. Willcock & Co., comprised a three-storey main block for in-patients and an adjoining single-storey out-patients’ wing. Of red brick with stone dressings, the hospital was designed in a domestic Gothic style, with an irregular, spiky skyline of gables, tower and turret. A detached nurses’ home, designed by A. W. Worrall, was added in 1927-8. A large new two-storey extension block, comprising a new out-patients’ department and extra wards, was added in 1937-8; this was the work of E. C. Lavender & A. R. Twentyman, and occupied the site of the old out-patients’ wing, which was demolished. SO 906 987, BF101382