Battle Hospital (Battle Union Workhouse) TQ 732 159 100905
Bexhill Hospital TQ 743 084 101484
Metropolitan Convalescent Institution Home for Men, Sea Road TQ 730 080 BF101486. Convalescent home of 1905 by Rowland, Plumbe and Harvey. Two storeys and with a sanitary pavilion to the rear.
Metropolitan Convalescent Institution Home for Women TQ 730 080 BF101485. A three-storey convalescent home of 1881, part of the Metropolitan Convalescent Institution.
Front and rear views of the convalescent home, from old postcards.
Bevendean Hospital (Brighton Borough Sanatorium). Designed in 1896 by the borough engineer and surveyor, Francis J. C. May, this medium-sized sanatorium has some architectural merit, notably in the pleasing arrangement of the gateway and lodges. The ward blocks were also treated more decoratively than is often the case with local authority funded hospitals. TQ 331 060, BF101199
Brighton Dispensary TQ 310 060 101483
Brighton General Hospital, Elm Grove (Brighton Workhouse; Brighton Municipal Hospital). A large workhouse complex, designed by J. C. & G. Lansdown, of London, in conjunction with a local man, George Maynard, and erected between 1865 and 1867. As well as a large, four-storey workhouse block, facing the road, the site also included detached infirmary, foul, fever and lunatic ward blocks. All the buildings are of brick, rendered, in a simple provincial neo-classical style. Subsequent additions include a block of casual wards, of 1885, designed by Maynard; three large infirmary pavilions, of 1888-91 and 1898, designed by B. H. Nunn, of Brighton; and a nurses’ home, of 1929, designed by E. Wallis Long. TV 328 052, BF101198
French Convalescent Home TQ 334 034 BF101480. A three-storey convalescent home built in connection with the French Hospital in London. An extra wing of red brick and terracotta was added in 1907.
John Howard Convalescent Home, Roedean Road TQ 334 034 BF101482. Convalescent home of 1932. It is a two-storey building, U-shaped in plan and with a veranda. Incorporated into the Royal Hospital, Putney, in 1974
London and Brighton Female Convalescent Home TQ 310 060 101481
Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children, Dyke Road (Hospital for Sick Children). A medium-sized specialist hospital, built in 1880-1 to house 80 sick children. The architect, T. Lainson, designed an attractive Queen Anne style building, of red brick and terracotta, with three principal wards in a south-west pavilion wing. The hospital was extended by him in 1905 with the addition of an out-patients’ and accident department, and a second, smaller, ward wing was added in 1927-9, designed by W. H. Overton. This contained a new operating theatre. Other buildings on the site appear to date from this period. Many alterations have been made to the buildings in subsequent years, including an extension and re-fronting of the original ward wing in the 1920s. The hospital still functioned as a children’s hospital in the early 1990s, administered by Brighton District Health Authority. TQ 306 048, BF101193
Royal Sussex County Hospital, Eastern Road (Sussex County Hospital and General Sea Bathing Infirmary). A small general hospital, built in 1826-8 on high ground in Kemp Town, to designs by (Sir) Charles Barry. The hospital, a small classical brick building of three storeys, specialized in sea-bathing treatments. Extension wings were added on either side in 1838-41, and again in 1851-3, when a small chapel was also provided. Later additions include a pathological block for students (1870), a laundry (1882), a wing for special cases (called Jubilee Wing, 1887), a detached out-patients’ department (1896) and a nurses’ home (1898-9, extended 1920); most of these later additions were designed by E. E. Scott, architect to the hospital, or his partner, F. T. Cawthorn.TQ 327 039, BF101197
Sussex Eye Hospital, Eastern Road. In 1933-5 a new eye hospital was erected in Eastern Road, Brighton, to designs by John. L. Denman & Son. Prior to this the hospital, founded in 1832, had occupied premises in Queen’s Road. The new hospital was of four storeys, with a slightly splayed U-plan, and contained an out-patients’ department (in the lower ground floor), administrative offices, private wards, a children’s ward and four, large, T-plan principal wards on the first and second floors. The latter were specially arranged to avoid glare and were decorated with soft colourings. TQ 327 038, BF101196
Sussex Throat and Ear Hospital (demolished), Church Street (Brighton, Hove and Sussex Throat and Ear Dispensary).This small specialist hospital for diseases of the throat and ear developed from a dispensary established in 1878. It was originally situated in Queen’s Road but moved to Church Street in 1898 when a new five-storey building, providing male and female wards, an outpatients’ department and accommodation for nurses and servants, was designed by a Mr Cawthorn. This was extended in 1931. TQ 308 045, BF101192
Pouchlands Hospital (Chailey Union Workhouse) T Q 383 173 101205
All Saints’ Hospital (All Saints’ Convalescent Hospital), Darley Hospital Road TV 601 974 BF101489. The first public convalescent hospital, built 1867-9 to designs by H Woodyer. A chapel was added in 1874 and a new wing in 1887. A children’s convalescent home was begun in 1889.
The hospital closed in 1958 but reopened in 1959.
Leaf Homoeopathic Cottage Hospital TV 619 992 101487
Princess Alice Memorial Hospital (Princess Alice Memorial Cottage Hospital) TV 611997 101488
St Luke’s Hospital (All Saints’ Memorial Convalescent Hospital for Children) TV 601 972 101490
St Mary’s Hospital (Eastbourne Union Workhouse) TV 596 994 100906
Buchanan Hospital (Buchanan Cottage Hospital) T Q 800 101 101494
Capel en Ferne TQ 796 093. A large private house built in 1879 for Major Tubbs, built in an eclectic manner. It was purchased by the London Omnibus Company in 1926 and extended for use as a convalescent home.
Eversfield Hospital (Eversfield Chest Hospital) T Q 791 089 102789
Hastings, St Leonard’s and East Sussex Hospital (Hastings Infirmary; East Sussex, Hastings and St Leonard’s Infirmary) TQ 811 091 101411
Hertfordshire Convalescent Home TQ 790 090 BF101491. Convalescent home by T C Clarke. Two storeys and built of red brick in Elizabethan style.
Mount Pleasant Hospital (Hastings Borough Sanatorium; Mount Pleasant Sanatorium) TQ 831 110 102788
Railway Mission Convalescent Home TQ 790 090 BF101492. Convalescent home of 1895-7 by F H Humphreys.
Royal East Sussex Hospital, Cambridge Road (East Sussex Hospital). TQ 811 094, BF101166 This substantial general hospital was founded as a small infirmary in 1839 at White Rock. This building was replaced in 1887 by a new hospital but in 1911 it was decided to move the hospital to a new site. A competition was held for the design of a new hospital which was won by John Saxon Snell and Stanley Spoor. Work commenced on the new premises in Cambridge Road in 1914. A new out-patients’ department was added in the 1950s, B. Stevens and Partners, Eastbourne, were the architects. The hospital had closed by the early 1990s.
St Helen’s Hospital (Hastings Union Workhouse) TQ 831 114 100907
Hellingly Hospital (East Sussex Asylum) TQ 598 125 101584
Convalescent Police Seaside Home TQ 280 050 101493
Foredown Hospital (Hove Sanatorium).This purpose-built isolation hospital of the 1880s, with later additions dating up to the early 1920s, was demolished in the 1970s or 1980s, leaving only the water tower standing. The tower has since been converted into a countryside centre and camera obscura. TQ 258 071, BF101201
Hove General Hospital, Sackville Road (Brighthelmstone Dispensary). This small general hospital at Hove developed from a dispensary founded in 1809 in Brighton. It was built in 1887-8 with an additional wing of 1926. The original block was of two storeys, constructed of red brick, with its main elevation facing Sackville Road was distinguished by a row of three gables. TQ 280 050, BF101202
New Sussex Hospital (New Sussex Hospital for Women) TQ 310 040 101203
Victoria Hospital, Nevill Road (Lewes Victoria Hospital and Dispensary).The Victoria Hospital is a small and attractive cottage hospital built in 1909 to replace an even smaller hospital and dispensary in the High Street which had been established in 1847. It was designed in the Queen Anne style by Ernest Runtz and Ford. TQ 404 103, BF101204
Newhaven Downs Hospital, Church Hill (Newhaven Union Workhouse).The oldest part of the present (1992) hospital was originally the union workhouse of c.1830. It has a very plain appearance in keeping with its function. In the late-nineteenth century a two-storey infirmary was added of brick and render. TQ 440 011, BF101195
Newhaven Valley Hospital (demolished), Lewes Road (Newhaven UD Isolation Hospital). The original temporary isolation hospital for Newhaven was replaced in 1905 by permanent brick buildings, doubling the accommodation to 12 beds. It was designed by F. J. Rayner. TQ 435 019 101194
Surrey Convalescent Home for Men TV 480 990 101495
Seaside Convalescent Hospital TV 486 989 BF101496. Founded in 1860 and established on this site circa 1874. This is a brick-built, 3-storey, E-shaped convalescent hospital designed by E A Gruning. In 1924 it is noted as having 100 beds.