Netherne Hospital (Third Surrey County Lunatic Asylum; Netherne Mental Hospital) TQ 296 563, BF101294
Frimley and District Hospital (Frimley and Camberley District Hospital) SU 880 580 101460
Ridgewood Centre, Old Bisley Road (Brompton Hospital Sanatorium; Frimley Sanatorium).
Although it had been suggested that a country branch or convalescent home should be built in connection with the Brompton Hospital in Kensington as early as 1865, the sanatorium at Frimley was not built until the early years of the twentieth century. With the widespread popularity of open-air treatment and the inability of the Brompton Hospital to offer long-term care to its patients, when George Rose suggested that a second establishment might be built as a tribute to the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign his proposal was welcomed and it was not long before an appeal for funds was launched. A pine-wooded site on the Heatherside estate near Frimley was purchased in 1900 and Edwin T. Hall was requested to draw up plans for a sanatorium with 100 beds. The building work was carried out between 1901 and 1905. The two-storeyed butterfly-plan building that he designed provided four wings largely containing single rooms which opened onto verandas on the ground floor and balconies above. Of red brick with tile-hanging and white-painted woodwork, a conscious attempt was made to create an attractive domestic appearance in the buildings. In addition to the main sanatorium building there was a kitchen wing with two dining halls, one for each sex, and a central assembly hall. Covered corridors led off to two houses on the east and west side for the resident medical officers and the nurses. The laundry and boiler house were situated to the south-west and from here the power was generated for the electric lighting and to heat the radiators. A timber-clad chapel was erected in 1925 to the east but otherwise the buildings remained little altered when they were transferred to the National Health Service in 1948. More recently one of the ward wings of the sanatorium was demolished and a new extension built on its site. SU 905 592, BF101401
Capel Cottage Hospital (Capel Village Hospital; now Broadwood) TQ 170 400, BF101452
Caterham and Dene Hospital (Caterham and District Hospital) TQ 336 556, BF101453
Caterham Guards Depot Hospital TQ 300 500, BF100916
St Lawrence’s Hospital (Metropolitan Asylum for Imbeciles) TQ 326 558, BF101292
Entrance and administration block, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
Charlwood and Horley Cottage Hospital TQ 283 437, BF101462
CHELSEA AND FARLEIGH
Warlingham Hospital (Croydon Borough Lunatic Asylum; Croydon Mental Hospital) TQ 370 590, BF101587
Botleys Park Hospital (Botleys Park; Botleys Park Colony for Mental Defectives) TQ 023 651, BF101380
Cranleigh Village Hospital TQ 060 390, BF36301
Dorking General Hospital, South Terrace (Dorking Union Workhouse).
Former Dorking Workhouse, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
This unusually smart workhouse, with its white stuccoed Grecian-style west elevation, was built in 1840-1 to designs by William Shearburn. The two- and three-storey, H-plan block to the rear was of red and grey striped brick and contained accommodation for some 250 paupers. In 1900 a detached red-brick infirmary was completed to the east, designed by H. Percy Adams.
The infirmary wing, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
The workhouse was converted into the county hospital before the Second World War and has continued to serve as a general hospital since its transfer to the National Health Service in 1948. TQ 165 487, BF101288
Holloway Sanatorium TQ 002 583, BF101601
Locke King Clinic (Weybridge Cottage Hospital) TQ 080 640, BF101467
Thames Ditton Hospital (Thames Ditton Cottage Hospital) TQ 155 673 101469
Walton-on-Thames Hospital (Walton, Hersham and Oatlands Cottage Hospital) TQ 100 660, BF101470
Weybridge Hospital TQ 073 649, BF101464
EPSOM AND EWELL
Epsom and Ewell Cottage Hospital TQ 217 609 101457
Epsom College (Epsom College Sanatorium) TQ 220 600 102760
Horton Hospital (part demolished), Horton Lane (Seventh LCC Asylum; Horton Asylum). One of five large asylums on the Horton Estate built by the London County Council (LCC). Construction work on the Horton Asylum began in 1897. In order to hasten the completion of the new asylum, the LCC decided to build a replica of their sixth asylum at Bexley Heath, designed by G. T. Hine in 1895. This would save the time taken to draw up fresh plans and to acquire the necessary approval from the Lunacy Commissioners and Home Secretary. Hine’s plan was of the ‘échelon’ type, with two-storey pavilions for the patients arranged in an échelon formation. The buildings were strictly utilitarian, constructed of white bricks made from local clay. The ayslum opened in 1902, since when various additions have been made of equally functional appearance. In 1948 it was transferred to the National Health Service and continued to function as a mental hospital. Following closure in the 1990s parts of the complex were demolished and the remainder became part of a housing development. TQ 197 617, BF101283
Long Grove Hospital (part demolished), Horton Lane (Tenth LCC Asylum; Long Grove Asylum). Work began on Long Grove Asylum in 1903. Plans to build an asylum on the new villa system had to be shelved following the fatal fire at Colney Hatch Asylum, also administered by the London County Council (LCC). The need to build replacement accommodation as quickly as possible forced the LCC to repeat G. T. Hine’s échelon-plan which had been used for the Horton Asylum. The new asylum was built of red brick and incorporated minor changes to the Horton plan, including the positioning of the administraiton block on the south instead of the north side and the provision of more detached villas in the grounds. It opened in 1907 and, having been transferred to the National Health Service in 1948, closed in 1992. Parts of the complex were subsequently developed when the site was redeveloped for housing. TQ 194 625, BF101284
Manor Hospital, Horton Lane (Sixth LCC Asylum; Horton Manor Asylum).This was the first of five lunatic asylums built by the London County Council (LCC) on the Horton Estate at Epsom. Although Horton Hospital was the first to be planned in 1897, pressure to relieve accommodation in the existing LCC asylums prompted the Asylums Committee to recommend the erection of temporary buildings based around Horton Manor. William C. Clifford Smith, the Asylums Engineer, drew up the plans in 1897 and the first patients were received in 1899. The hospital comprised a series of single-storey pavilions linked by corridors, all built of wood and iron. Later these pavilions were supplemented by permanent brick structures. Although the temporary buildings were only intended to serve for a period of fifteen years they were largely still in use in 1992. However, the future of the hospital, which was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948, was in doubt by the early 1990s and the demolition of the temporary buildings had been proposed. TQ 192 615, BF101285
St Ebba’s Hospital, Hook Road (LCC Epileptic Colony; Ewell Epileptic Colony).TQ 204 626, BF101286
One of the patients’ villas, photographed in August 1992 © H. Richardson
By 1898 the London County Council (LCC) had decided to establish a working colony for male epileptics on its estate at Horton. The original plans to erect temporary buildings were changed following the fatal fire at Colney Hatch in the wood and iron annexe there. The LCC Asylums Engineer, William C. Clifford Smith, drew up plans for a group of permanent buildings in 1900 and work was completed in 1903.
The central administration block, photographed in August 1992 © H. Richardson
The colony comprised a central administrative block, including offices, the main kitchen, boiler house and water tower as well as an infirmary wing and staff accommodation wing; a large recreation hall; and eight single-storey detached villas for the patients. Various additions were made subsequently including a series of new villas erected during the 1930s. These later blocks lacked the attractive domestic feel and stylistic detail of the earlier buildings. The colony was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and was latterly functioning as a hospital for people with additional support needs. More recently the hospital had contracted into a small part of the site while the remainder was being developed, with some sensitivity, for housing.
West Park Hospital, Horton Lane (Eleventh LCC Asylum; West Park Asylum). TQ185 613, BF101282. West Park was the fifth and final asylum to be built on the huge Horton Estate at Epsom, which had been purchased by the London County Council (LCC) in 1896. Designed by the Asylums Engineer, William Clifford Smith, in 1906-11, work began in 1912 but was suspended during the First World War. It was finally completed in 1921-4. It was planned on the villa system, a type of plan which was becoming increasingly popular on the Continent and in America. The American connection was emphasised by the colonial style of some of the buildings. Following the closure of the hospital, parts of the complex were demolished and the site redeveloped for housing.
Cobham and District Cottage Hospital TQ 110 607 101454
Princess Frederica’s Convalescent Home TQ 140 670 101447
Black Lake Convalescent Maternity Home SU 870 430 101448
Hale Sanatorium (Hale Convalescent Home) SU 840 480 101445
Trimmer’s Cottage Hospital SU 840 460 101459
Royal Surrey County Hospital (Surrey County Hospital) TQ 989 494 101458
Woodbridge Hospital (Guildford RSA Isolation Hospital; Guildford, Godalming and Woking JHB Isolation Hospital) SU 999 505 102763
Worthing Hospital Convalescent Home SU 990 490 101446
King George V Hospital and Hydestile Hospital (Highdown Sanatorium; King George V Sanatorium; St Thomas’s Hospital, Hydestile branch) SU 972 402 102761
Haslemere and District Hospital (Haslemere and District Cottage Hospital) SU 900 320 101461
Great Bookham Cottage Hospital T Q 130 540 101468
Victoria Memorial Cottage Hospital, Epsom Road (now Victoria House).TQ 172 567, BF101287
Leatherhead Cottage Hospital, with bunting, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
A small cottage hospital, built in 1903 to designs by Rowland Plumbe. It is of two storeys, of red brick and roughcast with a red-tile roof, in a pretty vernacular style.
Caxton Convalescent Home, Limpsfield Chart (now Caxton House). TQ 435 512, BF101291. An attractive building of red brick, hung-tiles and Bath stone, on a fine site overlooking the South Downs.
Former Caxton Convalescent Home, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
It was designed in 1894 by A. Saxon Snell, but built in stages. The main, central portion was erected in 1894-6, with east and west wings added in 1919 and 1927 respectively. A sun-room was provided in a tower above the entrance. It has since been converted to residential use.
Dorking Cottage Hospital TQ 160 480 101455
Oxted General Hospital, Eastlands Way. TQ 389 535, BF101290. A cottage hospital was established in Oxted as a war memorial in 1923. This had extended to the limits of the site, in the centre of Oxted, by 1938, and plans were drawn up for a new hospital on the outskirts of the town by H. Edmund Mathews and E. D. Jefferiss Mathews.
Side view of Oxted General Hospital, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
The new hospital, which had been completed by January 1947, was of one and two storeys, of red brick with flat roofs and provided 26 beds and a small children’s ward. The hospital remained as a general hospital under the National Health Service and at present (1992) continues in this capacity, although there are proposals for the redevelopment of the site.
Banstead Hospital (Third Middlesex County Lunatic Asylum) T Q 263 613 101258
East Surrey Hospital (Reigate and Redhill Cottage Hospital) T Q 271 502 101463
Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Sick Children). TQ 263 581, BF101602. This country branch of the established London children’s hospital was envisaged as an acute general hospital offering open-air treatment to the poor children of the East End. It was designed c.1936 by H. S. Goodhart-Rendel and erected over the following 12 years in the grounds of Banstead Wood, a late-19th-century house by R. N. Shaw. The outbreak of World War Two halted and eventually prevented the completion of Goodhart-Rendel’s original scheme. A series of staff and administrative buildings – including Shaw’s house (rebuilt after a fire as the administration building) and a large nurses’ home – was connected by a covered way to a ‘terrace’ ward block. The latter incorporated ideas from continental sanatorium architecture and was intended to feature wards without doors or glazing. The hospital, although only partially completed, was opened in 1948. It was in use as a psychiatric unit attached to the Manor Hospital, Epsom in 1994.
Royal Earlswood Hospital (Royal Earlswood Asylum for Idiots) TQ 280 486 101289
General view of the main building, photographed in August 1992. © H. Richardson
Zachary Merton Convalescent Home TQ 250 590, BF101451.Two-storey, brick convalescent home built c.1940. The building was designed by W. H. Ansell.
Chertsey Cottage Hospital TQ 040 660 101466
Egham Cottage Hospital SU 990 710 101456
Ashford Hospital, London Road (Staines Union Workhouse). TQ 062 724, BF101360
Infirmary block of the former Staines Union Workhouse, photographed in January 1993. © H. Richardson
The workhouse for Staines Union was built by 1856 but has now been largely demolished. The chapel, an infirmary block and some of the service buildings survive. As part of the Emergency Medical Scheme for the Second World War a number of hutted wards were erected on the site. These have been modernized and new buildings added to form the present general hospital.
Ashford Hospital, Holloway Unit, Long Lane (Staines Isolation Hospital). TQ 065 731, BF101361 An isolation hospital appears to have been erected for Staines in 1884, designed by H. W. Pratt of London. This was, perhaps, replaced by a new hospital in 1910 designed by G. W. Manning.
Admin and staff block, photographed in January 1993. © H. Richardson
The buildings which survive on a site to the east of the old workhouse, comprise a large administration and staff accommodation block, three single-storeyed ward blocks and a combined laundry, mortuary and ambulance shed. These buildings have now been absorbed by Ashford Hospital which evolved on the workhouse site and are partly used as offices and partly by Ashford Hospital’s Holloway Unit.
Staines Hospital (demolished), Kingston Road. TQ 048 710, BF101259. A small, six-bed cottage hospital with an unusual Y plan, designed by Leslie Moore and erected in 1914; it has since been demolished.
WALTON AND WEYBRIDGE
Ellesmere Hospital, Queens Road (Metropolitan Convalescent Institution). TQ 093 644, BF101400. This institution was founded in 1841 to provide proper convalescent facilities for the sick poor discharged from London hospitals. Originally established in a disused workhouse in Carshalton, the charity moved to a new purpose-built home, designed by Joseph Clarke and erected between 1852 and 1854 on a five-acre site in Walton-on-Thames.
The former Metropolitan Convalescent Institution, later Ellesmere Hospital, Walton-on-Thames. Photographed in May 1993 © H. Richardson. The hospital closed in 1989, and some time after 1998 it was converted into private flats.
The building – a large, plain, mainly two-storeyed classical range – had a principal front of red brick and stone, with side and rear walls of yellow stock brick. It provided large dormitories either side of a wide central corridor, which doubled as an ambulatory in bad weather. Further wings, part of Clarke’s original scheme, were added in 1861 and 1868, and a stone chapel was built in the grounds in 1870. Under the National Health Service the building became, in 1963, a hospital for geriatric patients, called Ellesmere Hospital. It closed in 1989.
Bethlehem Convalescent Home SU 940 390 101450
Brookwood Hospital (Second Surrey County Lunatic Asylum; Knaphill Asylum) SU 961581 101586
Ottershaw Hospital (Bagshot, Chertsey, Walton and Weybridge Joint Isolation Hospital; Ottershaw Hospital for Infectious Diseases) TQ 028 639 102762
St Nicholas’s and St Martin’s Orthopaedic Hospital (St Nicholas Home for Crippled Children; Pyrford Ordiopaedic Hospital) TQ 043 590 101590
St Peter’s Convalescent Home TQ 019 589 BF101449. A 19th century two storey building with attached chapel. Open-air treatment was given for convalescents.
Victoria Cottage Hospital TQ 000 580 101465