Staffordshire

BAGNALL

Highlands Hospital (North Staffordshire Joint Smallpox Hospital; Bagnall Isolation Hospital) SJ 925 505, BF102732

BARTON-UNDER-NEEDWOOD

Barton-under-Needwood Cottage Hospital SK 187 182 101472

BERKSWICH

Sister Dora Convalescent Hospital SJ 960 210 101475

BIDDULPH

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital (now Biddulph Grange) SJ 892 592 92178

BRERETON AND RAVENHILL

Rugeley Hospital (Rugeley District Hospital and Dispensary) SK 048 173 102042

BURNTWOOD

St Matthew’s Hospital (Second Staffordshire County Asylum; Burntwood Asylum) SK 077 095 101405

BURTON UPON TRENT

Burton District Hospital, Belvedere Road (Burton upon Trent Union Workhouse). This large workhouse was erected to replace the earlier Scott and Moffatt building in Wetmore Road. It was designed in 1880 by J. H. Morton of South Shields to accommodate 500 paupers and opened in 1884 comprising a large section for the ordinary poor, a school section and a detached infirmary. From 1930, when its administration passed to Burton upon Trent Corporation, it developed as a hospital and was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948. New buildings have since taken the place of some of the original blocks, including the old infirmary. SK 234 244, BF101407

Burton upon Trent General Hospital, New Street (Burton General Infirmary). This sprawling general hospital was first established on this site in 1868-9 and piecemeal development over the following century have left an incoherent group of mismatched buildings with little to recommend themselves architecturally. Edward Holmes erected the original block, to which various additions were made until, in 1896-9, Aston Webb was commissioned to extend and reconstruct the buildings. By 1900 the infirmary comprised an attractive group of red brick, largely two-storey, buildings with an administration block on the north side fronting Duke street, a ward wing, kitchen and laundry in the middle and an out-patients’ department on the south facing New Street. The extensions on either side of the out-patients’ department were largely in keeping with Webb’s buildings and this remains a handsome group. The large ward block added c.1940 alongside what remains of the administration block and Holford House, a nurses’ home of similar date and even worse appearance, erected on Orchard Street, dominate the earlier buildings with their oppressive utilitarianism. SK 246 228, BF101408

CANNOCK CHASE

White Lodge Community Unit (White Lodge) SJ 970 100 102043

CHEDDLETON

St Edward’s Psychiatric Hospital (Staffordshire County Asylum; Cheddleton Hospital) SJ 974 535 101575

HAMMERWICH

Hammerwich Hospital (Hammerwich Cottage Hospital) SK 058 081 101476

KINVER

Prestwood Chest Hopital (Prestwood House; Prestwood House Sanatorium) SO 864 862 102736

LEEK

Alsop Memorial Cottage Hospital SJ 986 566 102255

Moorlands Hospital (Leek Union Workhouse) SJ 995 562 100879

LICHFIELD

Lichfield Victoria Hospital SK 112 088 101474

Lichfield Victoria Nursing Home and Cottage Hospital (Lichfield Victoria Nursing Home) SK 112 088 101473

St Michael’s Hospital (Lichfield Union Workhouse) SK 126 098 100877

LOGGERHEADS

Cheshire Joint Sanatorium SJ 735 355 102733

LONGTON

Longton Cottage Hospital SJ 900 430 101580

NEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYME

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Infectious Diseases Hospital SJ 847 454 102734

RUGELEY

Rugeley Home and Cottage Hospital SK 040 180 101471

STAFFORD

Coton Hill Hospital (Coton Hill Institution for the Insane) SJ 934 237 101598

Staffordshire General Infirmary, Foregate Street (Stafford General Infirmary). Founded in two houses in the Foregate of Stafford in 1766, this institution later moved to a purpose-built hospital erected to the designs of Benjamin Wyatt in 1770-72. The central portion of that building survives in the present infirmary, which is largely the work of Sir Aston Webb, who carried out extensive additions and alterations in 1891-7. Webb’s plans involved demolishing all but the central three-storeyed, seven-bay block of the eighteenth century infirmary, which was converted into the new administration department, and adding to this two ward wings of two storeys. Later a nurses’ home was erected to the north, designed by E. Bower Norris (1927), and further extensions were carried out on the western side of the site by Webb. In 1948 the infirmary was transferred to the National Health Service and more recently has been partially superseded by the new District General Hospital at Coton Hill. SJ 919 237, BF101409

St George’s Hospital (Staffordshire County Asylum) SJ 924 238 101583

STOKE-ON-TRENT

Bucknall Hospital, Eaves Lane (Hanley, Stoke and Fenton Joint Infectious Diseases Hospital). This large hospital for infectious diseases was established in 1885-6 when the first five blocks were built to the designs of G. W. Bradford. One of these was a temporary ward block which was later demolished. From 1898 to 1930 the rest of the ward pavilions were added and the administration block gradually enlarged. Most of this work was carried out by Elijah Jones, architect to the Joint Hospitals Board. All the ward blocks except one were of one storey and built of brick. Two of the buildings added in the 1920s were cubicle isolation ward blocks. In 1948 the hospital was transferred to the National Health Service. SJ 910 480,  BF101124

Burslem, Haywood and Tunstall War Memorial Hospital SJ 874 511 101478

City General Hospital (Stoke upon Trent Union Workhouse; Wolstanton and Burslem Union Workhouse) SJ 858 452 101402

Hartshill Orthopaedic Hospital (Longfield House; North Staffordshire Cripples’ Aid Society Orthopaedic Hospital) SJ 863 456 101403

Haywood Hospital (now Burslem Technical College Annexe) SJ 876 499 101477

Longton Cottage Hospital SJ 900 430 101581

Longton Cottage Hospital (now Mount Pleasant Mission Chapel) SJ 900 430 101580

North Staffordshire Infirmary (demolished), Etruria. In 1802 a dispensary, which included a ward for in-patients, was founded for the people of Stoke-on-Trent. This was replaced by a new infirmary which was erected in Etruria to designs by Joseph Potter in 1816-19. A handsome stone building, comprising two storeys and a basement, with an entrance colonnade, it housed a maximum of 70 patients in a variety of wards. A separate block for fever cases was added in 1829, and further additions were made in 1852 and 1855. However, by the 1860s problems with ventilation and sanitation, compounded by subsidence caused by local mining works and noxious fumes from a nearby rubbish tip, forced the hospital authorities to consider moving to another site. As a result a new pavilion-plan hospital was erected in 1866-9 on a site on the west side of the Mount Estate, to the west of the new road between Hartshill and Penkhull. The infirmary building at Etruria was then demolished. SJ 874 473,  BF101444

North Staffordshire Infirmary, Princes Road, Hartshill (The Dispensary and House of Recovery; North Staffordshire Infirmary and Eye Hospital). In 1802 a dispensary, which included a ward for in-patients, was founded for the people of Stoke-on-Trent. This was replaced by a new infirmary which was erected in Etruria to designs by Joseph Potter in 1816-19. In the ensuing decades local mining works took their toll on the building until subsidence, coupled with noxious fumes from a nearby rubbish tip, made it desirable to provide a new hospital on a new site. The move was finally achieved in 1866-9, when a new hospital was built on the present site; this opened on 16 December 1869. It was designed jointly by Mr Nicholls of West Bromwich and Mr Lynam of Stoke-on-Trent, in consultation with Florence Nightingale. It was thus an early example of a pavilion-plan hospital, closely related to the Lariboisière in Paris. Largely of two storeys, there were four main pavilion ward wings with two smaller pavilions, arranged symmetrically on either side of a central courtyard. The main axis of each ward ran roughly north-west to south-east. In addition to the main infirmary building there were a number of detached buildings around it. These included a childrens’ ward block, built with a separate bequest from Sir Smith Child in memory of his eldest son, and another detached ward block known as the Albert Wards. The boiler house, laundry and mortuary were in a separate block on the north-east side of the main infirmary. Additions were gradually made over the rest of the nineteenth century but the greatest period of expansion was in this century. In 1911 a new out-patients’ department was erected, designed by Keith D. Young of Young & Hall. In 1902 work began on a new nurses’ home, designed by A. R. P. Piercy, to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII. This was extended in 1913, 1925 and again in 1940. From 1925 a series of new ward blocks and ancillary departments were added which occupied the vacant land fronting Princes Road and around the old laundry block and Albert Wards, on the north-east side of the main building. These additions included the Chew Memorial Building (opened in 1933), the G. H. Downing Radiological Department (1937), the Enoch Haughton Memorial Ward block (1940), a new administration block by the Princes Road entrance (1941), and a new Pathological Department (1942). In 1948 the administration of the hospital passed to the National Health Service. Modernisation of the old buildings and new additions have been carried out periodically and the original infirmary is now rather swamped by later work. SJ 876 454, BF101404

Stanfield Hospital (Stanfield Isolation Hospital; Stanfield Sanatorium) SJ 873 511 102731

Wolstanton and Burslem Union Workhouse SJ 867 531 100861

STONE

Trent Hospital (Stone Union Workhouse) SJ 899 338 102044

SWYNNERTON

Stone JHB Infectious Diseases Hospital SJ 872 333 102735

TAMWORTH

Tamworth General Hospital, Hospital Street (Tamworth Cottage Hospital).Originally established in 1878 by a local vicar as a cottage hospital and dispensary, this institution has since expanded into a small general hospital. The original single-storey brick cottage hospital, designed by Colonel Drake of the Royal Engineers, was erected on the site of Offa’s Dyke in 1878-80, and still forms the core of the present hospital. A second storey was added in 1882, followed in 1889 by an extension wing, and in 1892-3 by a new mortuary. A new ward wing and an out-patients’ hall were designed for the hospital by Harvey & Wicks of Birmingham, and built in 1924. Of brick and stone, in an elegant Edwardian classical style, the additions formed a war memorial to the men of the area who fell in the war of 1914-18. A detached nurses’ home was added in 1930, and a new operating theatre and kitchen block in 1932; both were subsidised by the Miners’ Welfare Fund and designed by their architect, R. Whitfield Parker. Solaria were added to the wards on the south side in 1937. The hospital was still operating as a general hospital under the National Health Service in 1993.  SK 208 052, BF101406

YOXALL

Meynell Ingram Cottage Hospital SK 145 188 101479