Alton Infirmary (Alton Union Workhouse) SU 725 400 BF39258. Alton Union Workhouse was built in 1793. An infirmary and mortuary was added in 1925 and during the Second World War a group of six wooden huts were added as part of the Emergency Medical Scheme. After the war, the building became a general hospital. Most of the buildings have been demolished but the original workhouse has been converted into apartments. The main building is of brick and rubble with 13 bays on the north front. It is Grade II listed as “Anstey General Hospital (Stores block only).
Alton Isolation Hospital SU 726 386 BF100087. A temporary isolation hospital built between 1908-1909, replacing a farmhouse that had previously been used for the purpose. A new hospital, constructed of timber and corrugated iron was built in 1930. The whole was demolished in 1989-1990.
Inwood Cottage Hospital SU 719 394 BF100085. Cottage hospital which opened in a pre-existing building in 1868. It was rebuilt by C E Barry in 1880 and extended in 1924. A nurses home was added in 1938-9 to designs by R C Kemp. Now flats and a private residence.
Lord Mayor Treloar Hospital (Princess Louise Military Hospital; Lord Mayor Treloar Cripples’ Hospital and College) SU 707 383 BF100101. Former Princess Louise Military Hospital, built 1901-1903. In 1907 this became the Treloar hospital and between 1929-39 it was almost entirely rebuilt to designs by H C Smart. Of the original hospital only two buildings survive
Andover Rural District Council Isolation Hospital SU 309 459 BF100088. Isolation hospital built in 1911, comprising an administration block, ward block and mortuary. A cubicle block by F Henshaw was added in 1936. Most of the hospital buildings are now in use as private houses.
Andover Cottage Hospital SU 361 456 BF100089. Cottage hospital of 1876, built to designs by a Mr White. Enlarged in 1906 by Horace Farquharson but some of the extensions were demolished circa 1990.
Andover Infectious Diseases Hospital (Andover Sanatorium) SU 371 461 BF100091. Isolation hospital first constructed in 1757 and replaced in 1894. Now demolished.
Andover War Memorial Community Hospital (Andover War Memorial Hospital) SU 354 463 BF100090. War memorial hospital built in 1925-6, in rendered brick with a red tile half-hipped roof, to designs by Maufe and Moore, and built by public subscription. It comprises two single-storey ward blocks. A general ward, now a maternity unit, was added in 1935 and a further new ward block was in place by 1940. When opened in 1926 it displayed an up to date approach to nursing in the provision of south-facing wards on the ground floor with access to a terrace. Staff accommodation was provided on the first floor. In addition it benefited from a modern operating theatre, X-ray provision and wireless entertainment for the patients.
St John’s Hospital (Andover Union Workhouse) SU 360 457 BF100092. Andover Union Workhouse was built in 1836, extended in the mid 19th century and is now a school. It is of red brick in Flemish bond, partly stuccoed with a Welsh slate roof. It is cruciform in plan radiating from a central hub which served as an observation post overlooking the excercise and drying yards. The extensions are to the north and south, flanking the front range. The building was designed by Sampson Kempthorne. It is Grade II listed. The workhouse was notorious for the mistreatment of the inmates who were, according to sources, employed in bone crushing and were so hungry they gnawed grizzle and marrow from the bones on occassion. [Sources. Historic England, pastscape.]
ASHURST AND COLBURY
Ashurst Hospital (New Forest Union Workhouse) SU 336 102 100093
Basingstoke Hospital SU 639 517 100094
Basingstoke UDC Isolation Hospital SU 619 532 100095
Royal Albert Infirmary SU 550 170 100801
BRAMSHOTT AND LIPHOOK
King George’s Hospital (Bramshott Place Sanatorium) SU 844 322 100100
Leipzig Barracks Hospital SU 818 508 100103
Eastleigh and Bishopstoke UDC Isolation Hospital SU 440 200 100105
Leigh House Hospital (Hursley Union Workhouse; Hampshire CC Sanatorium) SU 430 128 100106
Mount Hospital (The Mount Sanatorium) SU 466 200 100098
ECCHINSWELL AND SYDMONTON
Kingsclere Union Isolation Hospital SU 503 592 100107
Coldeast Hospital (Coldeast Mental Deficiency Colony) SU 507 082 100102
Fareham RDC Isolation Hospital SU 562 072 100108
St Christopher’s Hospital (Fareham Union Workhouse) SU 582 070 100109
Fleet Hospital (Fleet Cottage Hospital) SU 800 540 100110
Fordingbridge: Fordingbridge Cottage Hospital SU 146 140 100111
Fordingbridge Hospital (Fordingbridge Union Workhouse) SU 146 143 100112
Alverstoke House of Industry SZ 609 992 100021
Blake Maternity Hospital (Gosport Borough Isolation Hospital) SU 604 022 100115
Forton Hospital (Fortune Hospital) SU 610 000 100120
Forton Marine Infirmary SU 609 004 100121
Gosport and Alverstoke Smallpox Hospital (now Don Styler Physical Training Centre) SU 604 025 100113
Gosport War Memorial Hospital SZ 601 996 100116
Haslar Royal Naval Hospital SZ 618 988 BF100117. The first purpose-built naval hospital for the sick and wounded in England and was constructed in 1746-62. There were alterations and additional buildings constructed in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Around 13,000 sailors and soldiers are also said to be buried here who served in conflicts between 1753 and 1859. In 1902 the hospital became known as the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar (abbreviated to RNH Haslar).
The preliminary design was by Sir Jacob Ackworth, Surveyor to the Navy, and it was developed by Theodore Jacobsen. The hospital was built by James Horne, surveyor, and John Turner, Portsmouth dockyard carpenter. The main building on the site was constructed from red brick with Portland dressings and carvings and a slate hipped roof with a central ridge lantern. The plan comprises six parallel ranges of ward blocks around three sides of a large courtyard which is open to the north. There are also corner residential blocks containing octagonal courtyards. The Palladian style building is three storeys high, except for the central pediment section which is of four storeys. The pediment contains carvings of George II’s coat of arms and allegorical figures and emblems depicting Navigation and Commerce. The front elevation is symmetrical and there are sash windows throughout.
The hospital joined the Portsmouth Hospitals National Health Service Trust in 2001 and in 2007 it ceased to be a Ministry of Defence-managed hospital. It closed two years later, in 2009. In 2011 the site was the focus of a social and community-led regeneration programme.
Haslar Zymotic Hospital SZ 617 985 100118
Military Hospital SZ 616 984 100119
Havant and Waterloo UDC Isolation Hospital SU 714 066 100124
Havant War Memorial Hospital SU 713 066 100123
Victoria Cottage Hospital SU 749 059 100122
Netley Castle, SU 451 088 A Henrician artillery castle, built in 1542-5 by Sir William Paulet for Henry VIII to guard the anchorage at Southampton Water. It was built as part of the network of coastal defences to defend England against the threat of French and Spanish invasion. It consisted of a single-storey rectangular tower (19.5m wide by 14m deep) flanked by gun platforms on either side. There were four embrasures facing the sea on the roof of the main building, through which the artillery fired through. The castle was maintained and garrisoned until at least 1626-7 and possibly as late as 1642. In the early 19th century the fort was converted into a private residence and in 1840-60 it was modified and a Gothic tower built. It was extensively altered in 1885-90 when a two-storey central block with attic and basement was built and the castle became a convalescent home in 1946. In 2001 the castle was converted into apartments.
Royal Victoria Hospital, D Block (Military Lunatic Asylum) SU 468 078 BF100130.The Military lunatic asylum, or D Block of the Royal Victoria Hospital, built circa 1870. It is of classical design and constructed of red and yellow bricks. The plan is approximately E-shaped, with patients’ accommodation in the outer ranges, and the kitchen, dinning room and administrative offices in the central bar. A ward wing was added to the south in 1908. It is now a police training centre.
Royal Victoria Military Hospital (Victoria Military Hospital) SU 465 077 BF100128. Military hospital designed by E O Mennie just before the lessons of the Crimean War could be absorbed and was consequently criticised for not following pavilion principles. Begun in 1856 and opened in 1863. It was demolished in 1966.
Welsh War Hospital SU 468 079 100129
HYTHE AND DIBDEN
Hythe and Dibden War Memorial Cottage Hospital (The White House) SU 420 067 100131
Hythe and Dibden War Memorial Cottage Hospital, Atheling Road SU 423 076 100212
LYMINGTON AND PENNINGTON
Lymington Day Hospital and Infirmary (Lymington Union Workhouse) SZ 322 959 100136
Lymington Cottage Convalescent Home, Kings Salter Road SZ 330 947 BF100134. Convalescent home of 1876, for women and girls. It closed in 1927 and is now a private house named Three Gables. Red brick with pantiled roofs and bargeboarded gables.
Lymington Hospital (Lymington Cottage Hospital) SZ 317 958 100133
Lymington Isolation Hospital SZ 322 961 100135
Lyndhurst: Fenwick Hospital (Fenwick Cottage Hospital) SU 293 089 100137
Broadlands Sanatorium SU 637 353 100138
MILFORD ON SEA
Milford Cottage Hospital SZ 292 918 100139
Milford on Sea War Memorial Cottage Hospital SZ 288 914 100140
Tatchbury Mount Hospital SU 333 147 100408
Titchborne Down House Hospital (Alresford Union Workhouse) SU 587 315 76971
NURSLING AND ROWNHAMS
St John’s Convalescent Home (Village Convalescent Home) SU 380 170 BF100819. Convalescent home built by W H Cousemaker in 1875. The building is in Elizabethan style and of red brick.
Odiham Hospital (Odiham Cottage Hospital) SU 740 508 100143
Heathside Hospital (Petersfield Isolation Hospital) SU 760 232 100145
Petersfield Hospital (Petersfield Cottage Hospital) SU 743 232 100144
Petersfield Pest House SU 721 235 100146
Petersfield Union Workhouse SU 751 233 100147
Hilsea Venereal Hospital (Hilsea Military Families’ Hospital; Hilsea Artillery Barracks Hospital) ‘ SU 655 035 100153
Military Families’ Hospital (Female Hospital) SU 636 005 100152
Military Fever Hospital SU 636 005 100151
Military Station Hospital (Garrison Hospital) SU 636 005 100150
Municipal Maternity Hospital SZ 646 993 100163
Portsmouth and District Foot Hospital SU 650 013 100166
Portsmouth and Southern Counties’ Eye and Ear Hospital (Portsmouth and South Hampshire Eye and Ear Hospital) SZ 630 990 100337
Portsmouth Borough Isolation Hospital for Smallpox SU 678 000 100160
Queen Alexandra Hospital (Queen Alexandra Military Hospital) SU 655 059 100099
Roval Marines’ Infirmary (Eastney Barracks Hospital) SZ 670 980 100339
Royal Portsmouth Hospital (Royal Portsmouth, Portsea and Gosport Hospital) SU 643 009 100149
South Coast Medical Surgical and Convalescent Home for Women, 60 Clarendon Road (Mayville High School) SZ 647 985 BF100161. The convalescent home moved to this two-storey, red brick house in 1891
St James’s Hospital (Portsmouth Borough Lunatic Asylum) SU 670 001 100167
St Mary’s Hospital, East Wing (Portsmouth City Hospital for Infectious Diseases; Priorsdean Hospital) SU 662 006 100159
St Mary’s Hospital, West Wing (Portsea Island Incorporation Workhouse; Portsmouth Union Workhouse) SU 660 005 76977
Romsey and District Hospital (Romsey Cottage Hospital) SU 364 214 100171
Romsey Nursing Home and Cottage Hospital SU 353 217 100232
Romsey Union Workhouse SU 362 214 100172
22 Field Hospital (ThornhiU Military Isolation Hospital) SU 878 517 100180
Aldershot Hospital SU 865 500 100173
Aldershot UDC Smallpox Hospital SU 880 505 100176
Cambridge Military Hospital SU 868 512 100177
Connaught Military Hospital SU 877 529 BF100178. Built in 1896-1898, on the pavilion principle. It comprised four pavilion wards flanking an administration-kitchen complex, also various subsidiary buildings. A Venereal Disease Unit was added in 1908. Only the administration block (disused) and one ward wing survive. By 1992 the ward had been partly demolished.
Farnborough Cottage Hospital (Famborough and Cove War Memorial Hospital) SU 875 546 100182
Louise Margaret Hospital SU 869 512 100179
Northfield Hospital (Aldershot Isolation Hospital) SU 877 509 100175
Shedfield Cottage Hospital (Shedfield Cottage Hospital and Convalescent Home) SU 573 144 100183
SHERBORNE ST JOHN
Park Prewett Hospital (Second Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum) SU 615 538 100511
Isolation Hospital (Southampton Smallpox Hospital) SU 380 120 100194
Outbathing and Disinfecting Station for Infectious Diseases (Urban Sanitary Hospital for Infectious Diseases) SU 413 116 100195
Royal South Hampshire Hospital (South Hampshire Infirmary; Royal South Hampshire and Southampton Infirmary) SU 425 127 100190
Southampton Children’s Hospital SU 400 410 100233
Southampton Eye Hospital (Southampton Free Eye Hospital) SU 417 128 100188
Southampton General Hospital (Southampton Union Infirmary; Southampton Borough Hospital) SU 150 399 100191
Southampton Workhouse SU 426 417 100192
St Mary’s Cottage Hospital SU 420 120 100189
Western Hospital (Souhampton Isolation Hospital) SU 389 140 100193
Moorgreen Hospital (South Stoneham Union Workhouse) SU 474 145 100031
Whitchurch Union Workhouse SU 473 481 100201
Knowle Hospital (Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum) SU 561 095 100202
County Hospital SU 470 290 100551
Peninsula Barracks Hospital SU 477 285 100444
Royal Hampshire County Hospital SU 471 292 100446
St Paul’s Hospital (New Winchester Union Workhouse) SU 476 298 100512
Victoria Hospital for Infectious Diseases SU 503 294 100204
Winchester College Sanatorium SU 481 287 100445
Winchester Girls’ School Sanatorium SU 503 293 100213
Hartley Wintney Union Workhouse SU 781 541 100210
Yateley Cottage Hospital SU 822 598 100211