Altrincham General Hospital (Altrincham Hospital and Provident Dispensary) SJ 767 878 102506
Haydock Lodge Private Lunatic Asylum SJ 570 990 102617
Tameside General Hospital, West Site (Ashton-Under-Lyne District Infirmary; Ashton-Under-Lyne District Infirmary and Children’s Hospital) SJ 952 995 102488
Blair Hospital (Blair Convalescent Hospital) SD 710 140 102512
Bolton General Hospital (Bolton Union Workhouse; Townleys Hospital and Fishpool Institution) SD 718 064 100697
Bolton Infirmary and Dispensary (Bolton Dispensary) SD 718 092 102469
Bolton Royal Infirmary (Bolton Infirmary; The New Bolton Infirmary) SD 709 094 102464
Hulton Hospital (Bolton Borough Fever Hospital) SD 692 074 102697
Newlands Nursing Home SD 693 093 102519
Bealey Hospital (Bealey Memorial Convalescent Hospital) SD 796 077 102511
Bury General Hospital (Bury Dispensary Hospital) SD 809 125 102507
Florence Nightingale Hospital (Florence Nightingale Infectious Diseases Hospital) SD 791 100 BF102698. Isolation hospital of 1903 by Pole and Little. It comprised five pavilion wards, an administration block and a convalescent home plus various service blocks.
Ramsbottom Cottage Hospital (Aitken Memorial and Jubilee Cottage Hospital) SD 789 161 102514
CHEADLE AND GATLEY
Barnes Hospital (Barnes Convalescent Home; Barnes Convalescent Hospital) SJ 852 889 BF102067. Established in 1867 as a convalescent home for the Manchester Royal Infirmary and built on the present site in 1871-5 to designs by Blackwell and Booth. The original building was a symmetrical design centred on a winter garden.
St Anne’s Hospital (Cheadle Royal Asylum Children’s Convalescent Hospital) SD 850 866 102513
Bridgewater Hospital (Barton Union Workhouse) SJ 763 985 102074
Eccles and Patricroft Hospital (Eccles and Patricroft Dispensary) SJ 770 980 102588
Ladywell Hospital (Ladywell Sanatorium) SJ 782 985 102699
Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital (General Hospital and Dispensary for Sick Children), Gartside Street SD 791 012 BF102602. Children’s hospital of 1871-1872 by Pennington and Bridgen. The hospital was built following the Pavillion system, this involved a central spine corridor running back from the main reception block, with wards spaced out to each side in order to provide clean air and light throughout. Initially the reception block and three wards were built, one ward to each side behind the front block, and one to the rear with a separate entrance, being the fever ward. By 1878, three further wards were built, completing the original plan which had appeared in The Builder in 1872. Both phases were financed by public subscription and fund raising events.
In subsequent years, further additions were made. In 1902 the nurses, previously housed in one of the wards, were moved to rooms between two of the other wards, and in 1924 moved out to a purpose built block alongside, Colwyn House. This building, greatly enlarged by 1936, is now the outpatients department. Infill around the original wards also continued to the point where the original outline is barely discernable. In 1935 a new convalescent home was built to the south of the main hospital. This, the Zachary Merton Convalescent Home, was designed on the principle of providing as much air and sunlight as possible, and had open verandas on the long south sides of its angled wings. It now houses acute in-patients. The main administrative block and some parts of the wards are built in pale buff Ruabon brick with stone dressings, while the rest of the nineteenth century parts are of red brick, all with grey slate roofs. Later accretions are in a variety of materials. Colwyn House and the Zachary Merton block are of red brick, Colwyn house having ashlar dressings. The administrative block is two storey, the first ward on the south side has a basement floor, and a small block on the north side has an upper floor. The remainder is single storey
The original pavilion plan, fronted by an administrative block and consisting of wards leading off a central corridor, is discernable on the ground, although heavily compromised. The main elevation of the administrative block is symmetrical, in Italianate style, with a central prostyle portico entrance supporting a first floor balcony, and a truncated octagonal tower above that was originally domed. A bay with paired windows breaks forward at either end, and the central bay, with engaged columns and a pediment, also projects slightly. The windows are largely plastic framed replacements, but retain their form, being round-arched to the first floor with a central opening pane, and mainly shouldered arch on the ground floor. The roof is hipped, and has lost its original chimney stacks. A modern two storey extension at the right end is flat roofed. Other elevations are less elaborate, though the original pavilion wards in both red and white brick have pyramidal roofs at their outer ends. A few original windows survive. Twentieth century extensions mask most of the south side of the building, filling in virtually all of the gaps between the original pavilion wards, and a large late twentieth century extension has been attached to the south end of the administration block. The north side of the main hospital is less altered, and to the rear the original chimney, boiler house and some other ancillary buildings, all in red brick, have survived although with alterations.
Internally, the original wards survive, although with some changes. All the central fireplaces and chimneys have gone, and some of the wards have been sub-divided. Many of the ward windows have been partially blocked. The spine corridor remains intact, with an arched ceiling, arched entrances to the wards with mainly original double half-glazed doors, and raised glazed cupolas at the junctions with the wards. Both floors of the administrative block have been altered to provide reception areas or sub-divided into offices, and few original features remain other than the staircase with its polished wooden handrail and metal balusters.
Three storey Colwyn House is in neo-Georgian style, with ashlar quoins and keystones, pediments to the end bays and ground floor canted bays in ashlar. The 1930s extension which more than doubled the size of the original is in the same style. Internally little of distinction remains, apart from several original staircases, and there is no evidence of its original use as a nurses’ home. The Zachary Merton convalescent home, built on a south facing butterfly plan to take advantage of the sun, has suffered from extensive alteration: all of the open verandas have been enclosed and the windows renewed. The gate lodge, built of the buff brick with a hipped grey slate roof, is single storey with a canted bay window and round arched entrance. It has been extended to the left side and rear, almost doubling its size: the extensions are in pale brick but are flat roofed. Internal spaces have been altered and rearranged.
St Anne’s Hospital (Manchester Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Throat and Chest) SJ 762 874 102696
Fall Birch Hospital (Horwich, Westhoughton and Blackrod Infectious Diseases Hospital; Fall Birch Isolation Hospital) SD 660 100 102706
Leigh Infirmary SD 661 009 102463
Ancoats Hospital (Ancoats Hospital and Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary), Mill Street, SJ 854 984 BF102465. Hospital built c. 1873-1891 to designs by Lewis and Crawford. It is Gothic in style and built from brick, stone and terracotta. There are many later additions.
Booth Hall Hospital (Booth Hall Infirmary; Prestwich Union Infirmary) SD 865 031 BF100747. Prestwich Union Workhouse was built in 1866-1870 in a T-shaped, corridor plan designed by Thomas Worthington to house 312 inmates. The arched entrance block contained the porter’s lodge and residence. The main workhouse block included a dining hall, a chapel, a kitchen, a pantry, a breadstore, a board room, a fumigatory, lavatories, a clothing store, four main ward blocks and a work master’s house. The infirmary had four pavilion ward blocks and an isolation ward. The workhouse was expanded in 1887 to hold 750 inmates. In 1918 the name was changed to Delauney’s Road Institution. Later in the 20th Century the name was changed to Delauney’s Hospital and then became part of North Manchester General Hospital. As of the early 21st Century the only surviving features from the original workhouse buildings are the entrance block and master’s house.
Chorlton and Manchester Joint Workhouse SJ 856 981 BF100744. Manchester Parish Workhouse was built on the corner of New Bridge Street and Ducie Street in 1792. In 1797 it accommodated 319 inmates who were employed in the manufacture of cotton goods. In 1840 the Manchester Poor Law Union was created and took over the New Bridge Street workhouse, which was enlarged in 1843. In 1851 new fever wards were erected. A report in 1866 identified that by this stage it was more like an infirmary or hospital in character. It could by now accommodate 1,644 inmates. The site provided a fever hospital, venereal wards, foul wards and special wards for the infirm, among other functions. The inmates were accommodated on straw beds. In 1875 a large part of the site was sold off, demolished and replaced by Victoria Station. In 1881 the remaining area was redeveloped with the erection of new casual wards, a relief department, female lock (venereal) wards, lying-in wards, and lunatic wards. During the First World War the site was tak
Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute SJ 849 925 102600
Duchess of York Hospital for Babies SJ 830 980 102618
Manchester and Salford Hospital for Skin Diseases SJ 830 980 BF102243.A skin hospital built in 1903-5 to designs by Thomas and Percy Worthington. Built of brick and stone in Edwardian Baroque style.
Manchester and Salford Lock Hospital SJ 831 978 BF102599. Venereal and skin diseases hospital of 1873-4.
Manchester Dental Hospital SJ 830 980 BF102587. Dental hospital of 1909 by Charles Heathcote and Sons. It replaced earlier premises on a different site
Manchester House of Recovery (now Grand Hotel) SJ 845 981 BF102701. House of recovery established in 1796 in a house on Portland Street and later moved to a site on Aytoun Street and Chatham Street. It closed in 1856 and treatment passed to the Royal Infirmary. Demolished.
Manchester Northern Hospital (Manchester Northern Hospital for Women and Children) SD 843 011 BF102603. Women and children’s hospital of 1929-1934 by G Westcott and H Boddington. The hospital replaced earlier buildings and provided accommodation for 116 patients plus nursing staff.
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road SJ 850 961 BF102011. Designed by E T Hall, who won the competition with the Manchester architect John Brooke. Built between 1905 and 1908, it is in the Greenwich Baroque style on the traditional pavilion plan with surgical and medical wards grouped around parallel walkway spines.
A nurses home was added in 1928 and further additions were made in 1929, 1932, 1933-7 and 1936-9. Major extensions along Upper Brook Street of concrete and dak glass are by the Building Design Partnership, completed in 1992. To the east there is a large new ward block by Abbey Holford Rowe, 2000-1.
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Piccadilly (Manchester Infirmary; Manchester Infirmary and Lunatic Asylum) SJ 843 982 BF102063. Infirmary built in 1755. A lunatic asylum and hospital were built adjacent in 1765 and public baths added in 1779-80. Major rebuilding and expansion took place in 1846-53 and further new buildings were added in 1880-82. Demolished in 1910.
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Central Branch SJ 844 983 BF102170. Opened as an accident hospital with an outpatients’ department in 1914 to serve central Manchester after the Manchester Royal Infirmary moved from Piccadilly to Oxford Road. Built of red brick, it closed in 1943.
Manchester Victoria Memorial Jewish Hospital (Manchester Jewish Hospital) SD 841 004 BF102241. Established in 1904 and built to designs by W C Hardisty. It had 8 beds, an operating theatre and an administration block all on Elizabeth Street. In 1908 an outpatients department was built on Sherbourne Street and was attached by subway.
Monsall Hospital (Barnes House of Recovery) SD 864 008 102702
Nicholls Hospital SJ 857 960 102518
North Manchester General Hospital (Manchester Township Workhouse; Crumpsall Institution) SD 849 023 BF100743.Manchester Workhouse at Crumpsall was designed by Mills and Murgatroyd and erected between 1855 and 1856. It could accommodate 1,660 inmates consisting able bodied, elderly and the infirm and including men, women and children. The site originally comprised a T-shaped, corridor-plan workhouse, with two, long parallel ranges to the rear. To the front there were four, two-storey, red brick blocks which comprised the porters lodge and other rooms such as the receiving ward. The main workhouse is red brick with hipped slated roofs and sanitary towers added to the rear. A block connected by a corridor to the rear contains the chapel. The wings were occupied by girls and boys and included a school room although the south west wing has now been demolished. Other rooms comprised a laundry, the four-storey infirmary and the three storey wings which housed ‘imbeciles and epileptics’.
Expansion of the site became necessary in the 1870s and a new pavilion-plan infirmary was erected designed by Mills and Murgatroyd. A block to the rear contained the infirmary kitchen and nurses accommodation. Further such accommodation was erected again in 1897, 1914 and 1928. A house was erected for the workhouse master in 1905 and lies to the south of the main building. In 1918, the site was renamed Crescent Road Institution. In 2007, many of the former workhouse and infirmary buildings formed part of North Manchester General Hospital.
Royal Eye Hospital SJ 849 961 102066
St Mary’s Hospital, Oxford Road SJ 850 959 102064
St Mary’s Hospital, Whitworth Street SJ 840 976 102065
St Mary’s Hospital, Quay Street SJ 830 980 102266
Withington Hospital (Chorlton Union Workhouse) SD 836 924 BF102142. Built between 1864 and 1866. The architects were [William] Hayley, Son & [Leigh] Hall. The workhouse complex included a large cruciform building, with a chapel, a dining hall, dormitories, a nursery and a cemetery. In 1864, a pavilion plan infirmary, designed by Thomas Worthington, was built. This was the first built in this style in England. In 1872, an isolaton hospital was added. Nurses homes were built in 1885, 1903 and 1913. In 2001, the buildings formed part of Withington Hospital but were due to be redeveloped. The entrance lodge, gates and original administration block are grade II listed.
Wythenshawe Hospital (Withington UDC Sanatorium for Infectious Diseases; Baguley Sanatorium for Infectious Diseases; Baguley Hospital) SJ 806 876 102695
Oldham Royal Infirmary (Oldham Infirmary) SD 919 047 102462
Birch Hill Hospital (Rochdale Union Workhouse) SD 921 161 100693
Memorial Home for Crippled Children SD 890 130 102520
Rochdale Infirmary SD 895 141 102466
Westhulme Hospital (Westhulme Fever Hospital) SD 915 061 102700
Greengate Hospital (Greengate Dispensary and Open Air School) SJ 820 980 102601
Hope Hospital (Salford Union Infirmary) SJ 786 991 100740
Manchester Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of Throat and Chest SJ 835 980 102705
Salford Royal Hospital SJ 826 986 102467
Stepping Hill Infirmary (Stockport Union Infirmary) SJ 912 875 100164
Stockport Infirmary SJ 894 899 BF102468 Established as a dispensary in 1792 and incorporated as an infirmary in 1833. Enlargments were made in 1871, 1885, 1897 and 1926. Special features were a Samaritan Fund, Ladies’ Linen League and a Nurses’ Home.
The infirmary closed in 1996, and subsequently was converted into offices, renamed Millenium House. [Sources: 1929 Burdett’s Hospitals and Charities]
Stretford Memorial Hospital (Basford House Red Cross Hospital) SD 818 951 102515
Urmston Cottage Hospital SJ 767 948 102516
Astley Hospital (Leigh JHB Sanatorium; Astley Sanatorium) SD 698 009 102704
Trafford General Hospital (Davyhulme Hospital; Park Hospital) SJ 755 953 100698
Royal Albert Edward Infirmary SD 584 069 102461
Whelley Hospital (Wigan Borough Sanatorium) SD 591 066 102703