ST BRENDAN’S HOSPITAL, CASTLEBAY has just 5 beds, and is in a shared building with a local authority care home facility. It is supported by the local GP Practice to provide care of the elderly and other services. This was a joint project by the Western Isle Health Board and the Islands Council, work began in 1978, at an estimated cost of £500,000, and opened in 1980. [Sources: Aberdeen Press & Journal, 24 May 1978, p.26.]
UIST AND BARRA HOSPITAL Opened in 2001, replacing the hospitals in Lochmaddy and Daliburgh. It provides a local service for the population of the Southern Isles. The hospital has 29 beds, and provides care of the elderly, GP Acute and Midwifery led maternity services. Many of the Consultants from the Western Isles Hospital, and some from mainland Health Boards, visit the Uist and Barra Hospital to provide outpatient services. [Source: http://www.wihb.scot.nhs.uk/ospadal-uibhist-agus-bharraigh which includes a photograph of the hospital]
COUNTY HOSPITAL, STORNOWAY Built by the Red Cross during the First World War as the Lewis Sanatorium. It was handed over to the local authority c.1920. It closed in 1992 following the opening of the new Western Isles Hospital.
LEWIS HOSPITAL, Goathill Road, Stornoway The hospital was built by John H. Gall, of Inverness in 1893-6. It is labelled Lewis Cottage Hospital (infectious diseases) on the OS map below.
The initial plans were for two wards providing accommodation for six patients each with a central administration department which was to contain the matron’s and doctor’s rooms, a central hall and vestibule, two nurse’s duty rooms and, to the rear, the surgery, operating room, kitchen and kitchen offices. A service block with laundry and mortuary were provided for separately. Above the administration area were bedrooms for the staff and one private ward with a bathroom.
The hospital closed in 1992 with the opening of the new Western Isles Hospital. [Sources: Lancet, 27 July 1929, p.205: Medical Directory, 1904.]
STORNOWAY FEVER HOSPITAL (Mossend Fever Hospital) This small fever hospital for Stornoway provided ten to twelve beds. It was built in 1876 and closed in 1938. Sources Nicola MacArthur, ‘The origins and development of the Lewis Hospitals’, Hektoen International, A journal of Medical Humanities, Spring 2017.]
STORNOWAY POORHOUSE The Lewis Combination Poorhouse was built in 1895 by James M. Thomson of Edinburgh. Later it changed its name to Coulregrain House. [Sources: Scottish Record Office, plans, RHP 30866/1‑19.]
For further details of the Lewis poorhouse see workhouses.org
WESTERN ISLES HOSPITAL, STORNOWAY Officially opened in 1993 by Prince Charles. Designed and built by the Common Services Agency for the Western Isles Health Board.
LOCHMADDY HOSPITAL This hospital was formerly the Long Island Combination Poorhouse, designed by Kinnear and Peddie in 1882-3. In the early 20th century it accepted mentally ill patients, which it was still doing after the 2nd World War when it also provided accommodation for the chronic sick.
It closed around 2001 after which the buildings lay empty. For further details and photographs of the buildings see workhouses.org
THE HOSPICE, LOCHMADDY A small maternity unit built on the site of the Long Island Institution c.1938. [Sources: Department of Health for Scotland, 8th Annual Report, 1936, p.90.]
County Hospital, Daliburgh
DALIBURGH FEVER HOSPITAL This small fever hospital provided six beds.
DALIBURGH HOSPITAL This small hospital opened c.1892. This is probably Bute Hospital – see above.