Arundel and District Hospital, Chichester Road.TQ 011 071, BF101266. This small district hospital was built in 1931. It is of two storeys, in an attractive vernacular style, with mixed facings of brick and roughcast, and maintains its original timber verandas to the principal front. The architect was John Saxon Snell.
Bailey Convalescent Home SZ 930 990 101505
Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital, Bersted Street. SU 935 002, BF101263. A small general hospital, erected in 1931-2 and extended in 1936. It consists of a two-storey administration block and two single-storey ward wings, all of plain brick.
Children’s Convalescent Home for Surrey SZ 939 991 101504
Merchant Taylors’ Company Convalescent Home for Men SZ 930 990 101506
Victorian Convalescent Home for Surrey Women, The Esplanade SZ 939 989 BF101503. The Victorian Convalescent Home for Women of Surrey, Surrey House, The Esplanade was founded in 1897. This is a 2-storey structure of red brick, facing the eastern Esplanade. It was opened by the Queen (then Duchess of York) in 1900.
Victoria Wellesley Home for Convalescent Women and Girls SZ 939 991 101502
Jewish Convalescent Home for Ladies TQ 310 190 101508
Graylingwell Hospital, College Lane (West Sussex County Lunatic Asylum). SU 866 064, BF101269. A good example of a county asylum built at the end of the nineteenth century on the echelon plan. Graylingwell was built for West Sussex when the original county asylum at Haywards Heath could no longer find sufficient accommodation for the pauper lunatics of the county. The new asylum was designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and Sons and was built between 1895 and 1897. Two pavilions were added in 1901-2 and three new large blocks and a nurses’ home were built in 1931-3. In the early 1990s the hospital was still in use, but was scheduled for disposal in the 2000s. It has since been redeveloped for housing.
Royal West Sussex Hospital, Broyle Road (West Sussex, East Hampshire and Chichester Infirmary and Dispensary). SU 859 056, BF101268. A general hospital, established in 1784 as a public dispensary. The main building was erected in 1825-6, to designs by George Draper of Chichester.
Originally a two-storey, neo-classical block, faced in stucco, it was enlarged in the 1830s and 1860s, and reconstructed in 1912-13 by C. W. Ball and Dr D. J. Mackintosh; a small, one-storey brick out-patients’ and casualty unit was added at the same time. Other, later buildings on the site included a nurses’ home and private patients’ block, erected in 1928-9 and extended in c.1933, and a group of four Emergency Medical Service (EMS) ward huts.
Crawley and Ifield Cottage Hospital TQ 270 360 101500
Cuckfield Hospital, Ardingly Road (Cuckfield Union Workhouse).TQ 308 257, BF101375. A substantial union workhouse, of red and blue brick with stone dressings, in a simple classical style, erected in c.1843 to designs by H. W. Parker, an Assistant Poor Law Commissioner. The site also included a gate lodge and vagrant wards, and a small red-brick chapel, of 1858, designed by G. W. Booth of Gosport. Two infirmary blocks were added at the north of the site, one before 1877, the other in 1890, when an infectious ward was also provided. During World War Two a large complex of emergency ward huts was erected on vacant land to the north east of the workhouse site; this was demolished in about the 1980s or early 90s as part of a proposed redevelopment of the site.
King Edward VII Hospital (King Edward VII Sanatorium). SU 880 249, BF101270. The architects H. Percy Adams and Charles Holden created at Midhurst a sanatorium which embodied the principles of open-air treatment in their design. It was designed to accommodate 100 patients and was largely of three storeys, of red brick with stone dressings and tile-hung gables. The sanatorium was founded and funded by King Edward VII in 1901 and work began on the site in 1903. Every aspect of the buildings was planned to allow the patients to have the maximum amount of sunshine and fresh air available, with south-facing single rooms, and balconies or verandas. Even the chapel was built on a radical plan to maintain the fresh-air ideal. It comprised two naves, one for men and one for women, placed at right angles to each other and with an open arcade on the southern side. There was even an open-air pulpit from which the chaplain might address a garden congregation. The sanatorium was officially opened in June 1906 by the King. Various additions were made to the main building and a nurses’ home was erected in 1939 to designs by Briant Pulter. As the scourge of tuberculosis receded the sanatorium gradually diversified and now it operates as a private general hospital in partnership with the local health authorities. The principal buildings are listed grade 2.
Queen Victoria Hospital, Holtye Road (Queen Victoria Cottage Hospital; East Grinstead Hospital). TQ 308 257, BF101371. A well-planned, purpose-built general hospital, erected in 1935-6 to replace a previous cottage hospital. It was designed by F. Gordon Troup & L. H. Parsons, with A. C. Denny as associated architect. The hospital had an effective T-shaped plan, comprising a long, south-facing single-storey ward wing and a shorter, two-storey support wing behind. The general wards were of the veranda type, with fully-opening windows, and there were wards for children, private patients and isolation cases, all facing south. The building was of stock brick with cement dressings, and was dominated by a tall central staircase tower. During World War Two the hospital was taken over to deal with facial injuries and general reconstructive surgery. A series of brick-built emergency ward huts were erected in the grounds, again to designs by Troup. More substantial additions were made in 1943-5, when two large brick-built wings were added: one was a ward wing, known as the Canadian Wing, designed by Troup in combination with the Royal Canadian Air Force and erected by Canadian Engineers in 1943-4; the other was a Surgical Unit, also by Troup, which provided four new operating theatres and was built in 1944-5.
Queen Victoria Hospital (Queen Victoria Cottage Hospital) T Q 399 392 101499
Haywards Heath Hospital (King Edward VII Memorial Eliot Hospital) T Q 323 240 101498
St Francis’ Hospital (Sussex County Lunatic Asylum) T Q 336 228 101376
Horsham Hospital, Hurst Road (Horsham Cottage Hospital). SU 175 314, BF101372. By the early 1990s this was a substantial general hospital. The small annexe to the west of the site was the original cottage hospital erected in 1891-2. Of two storeys and domestic appearance, this building was designed by Frederick Wheeler. It was superseded by a larger hospital on adjacent ground to the south-east in 1923. The new building was designed by F. Troup of Horsham and provided two general wards and three private wards. A children’s ward was added by the same architect in 1925. The hospital continued to expand in the 1930s and in 1941 re-acquired its original home as an out-patients’ department.
Horsham Union Workhouse T Q 189 317 101373
Goddards Green Hospital (Cuckfield Isolation Hospital; latterly The Dene). TQ 289 202, BF101374. The isolation hospital at Goddards Green was designed by G. T. Hine for Cuckfield Rural District Council and opened in May 1902. It provided 24 beds in three detached single-storeyed ward pavilions, together with an administration block, gate lodge and service block. The hospital was extended in 1937 by the addition of a cubicle isolation block. It was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and by the early 1990s was used as a home for people with additional support needs.
Littlehampton and District Hospital, Fitzalan Road. TQ 031 020, BF101267. The foundation stone of this pleasing cottage hospital was laid by the Duchess of Norfolk on 22 May 1911. It was designed by Frederick Wheeler and Godman and built of red brick with a red tile roof. Wheeler was no stranger to hospital design, having already completed the sanatorium at Northwood for Mount Vernon Hospital together with its extraordinary chapel. There was little scope to exhibit his talents here. The tiny main block, of just four bays length, was of one storey with attic. The hipped roof with deeply oversailing eaves being echoed in miniature on the dormer windows. The slightly advanced outer bays were gabled and had brick quoins. A ward wing was added to the left of this, also hip-roofed with a conservatory added later to the end. The hospital was enlarged in 1921, and the addition was so well in keeping with the original work that it is hard to judge where it is. There is a suitably small boiler house at the rear.
Petworth Cottage Hospital SU 970 210 101501
Rustington Convalescent Home, Sea Road. TQ 044 013, BF101264. This large, handsome and well-maintained convalescent home is set in attractively laid out grounds on the coast at Littlehampton. The home was founded in 1897 for working men by Sir Henry Harben and the building was designed in a neo-Georgian style by Frederick Wheeler. Of brownish brick, with red-brick and stone dressings, it comprises a ground floor of public rooms, most of which face south with views of the sea, with bedrooms of various sizes on the two floors above. Other buildings in the grounds to the north include a detached laundry, pump house and matron’s house, all in a similar style. The home, which is administered by the Worshipful Company of Carpenters, London, was modernised c.1970 but in the early 1990s retained many original features.
Zachary Merton Community Hospital, Glenville Road (Zachary Merton Convalescent Home) TQ 057 020, BF101265. This convalescent home near the coast at Rustington was one of six provided by the Zachary Merton Trust. It was built in 1936-7 and provided 30 beds for mothers and babies and separate accommodation for toddlers in a two-storey, U-plan building of brick painted white. The home later became a maternity hospital and remained in use as such until 1979 when it was converted into a community hospital.
Southlands Hospital (Steyning Union Workhouse) T Q 227 060 101378
Catherine Marsh Convalescent Home TQ 130 030 101509
Surrey County Hospital Convalescent Home TQ 130 030 101507
Worthing Hospital (Worthing Infirmary) TQ 153 031 101497